Star Sans / K-meta Pros and Cons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
Star Sans and K-meta are both used for sanitizing. It appears to me that Star Sans is the preferred sanitizer for brewing and K-meta is the favorite for wine making. I've been doing some research to understand why. Here's some points I've come up with and I'd appreciate your comments.

Star Sans: Seems to provide superior sanitizing, no need to rinse, works by vapors so not as useful for hydrometer, thermometer, more expensive, extra item to have, not harmful to user.

K-meta: Probably not as good at sanitizing but good enough, not necessary to rinse but wine makers often do to control sulfitating, can be used easily for everything, less expensive, already on hand for final sulfitating, some people get a reaction to k-meta fumes particularly those with asthma.

The fumes from KMeta really aggravate my asthma so I switched to OneStep for my sanitizer. Used it for the first time yesterday on bottles for my peach wine.

Star Sans and K-meta are both used for sanitizing. It appears to me that Star Sans is the preferred sanitizer for brewing and K-meta is the favorite for wine making. I've been doing some research to understand why. Here's some points I've come up with and I'd appreciate your comments.

Star Sans: Seems to provide superior sanitizing, no need to rinse, works by vapors so not as useful for hydrometer, thermometer, more expensive, extra item to have, not harmful to user.

K-meta: Probably not as good at sanitizing but good enough, not necessary to rinse but wine makers often do to control sulfitating, can be used easily for everything, less expensive, already on hand for final sulfitating, some people get a reaction to k-meta fumes particularly those with asthma.

You have somethings backwards.
StarSan is a contact sanitizer and by no means a fumes sanitizer. Kmeta sanitizes more from its fumes than contact.

StarSan is very, very (dirt) cheap. I have been using an 8 oz bottle for three years now and it is still half full. A little bit of the concentrate goes a very long way.

For spraying, I use StarSan 5 to 1 over Kmeta.

StarSan works great is a spray bottle. Any surface it is sprayed on is sanitized by the contact with the solution. So, it works great for spoons, cups, hydrometers, thermometers, ..etc. I run it through my hoses right before I use them.

Kmeta works best when it can be applied to the inside surface of something like a carboy, jar, bucket, hoses; then sealed up so the fumes can work. Kmeta is the preferred sanitizer for one's bottle at bottling time.

Neither Kmeta nor StarSan have to be rinsed. Some do rinse, depending on the surface and circumstances. (I always rinse both, except for Kmeta at bottling time.)

The fumes from KMeta really aggravate my asthma so I switched to OneStep for my sanitizer. Used it for the first time yesterday on bottles for my peach wine.

I know people use One Step for sanitizing in wine making with good results. Some (including me) have been hesitant because it's basically Oxyclean and potentially adds oxygen to the process, albeit in tiny doses.

Robie, your'e probably right on fumes. My understanding was that gas in bubbles did sanitizing, but I'm most likely incorrect.

It only takes one whiff of StarSan bubbles and one whiff of Kmeta fumes to answer this. :sh

One disadvantage of StarSan is is does bubble up when poured. This is not an issue when it is sprayed onto a surface. I keep a sprayer of StarSan and a sprayer of Kmeta. I use the sprayer of StarSan much, much more often.

StarSan instructions of 1 oz to 5 gal, really makes it cheap. As I only mix one gal at a time, I maybe making it stronger than recommended.

As I understand it KMBS doesn't truly sanitize but the gas of its evaporation creates an environment where microbial growth is inhibited or prevented. Seems it would work best in a closed environment. I usually use it to wash and clean bottles prior to bottling. I use Star-san for just about everything else, usually in sprayers but in bigger batches for cleaning all the gear. If you mix and dilute them to the proper amounts you shouldn't need to rinse anything after spraying or washing with either (especially star-san) and unless you're using purified water it seems you're kinda defeating the purpose by rinsing:)

As I understand it KMBS doesn't truly sanitize but the gas of its evaporation creates an environment where microbial growth is inhibited or prevented. Seems it would work best in a closed environment. I usually use it to wash and clean bottles prior to bottling. I use Star-san for just about everything else, usually in sprayers but in bigger batches for cleaning all the gear. If you mix and dilute them to the proper amounts you shouldn't need to rinse anything after spraying or washing with either (especially star-san) and unless you're using purified water it seems you're kinda defeating the purpose by rinsing:)

In my case, rinsing with water is a personal preference, not a requirement. Not an arguable point, really.

Good, clean, drinkable water is considered sanitary. If there is any doubt about your water supply, don't rinse with it AND DON'T MAKE YOUR WINE WITH IT, EITHER.

For the most part, the answer here seems to be simple. K-Meta is used wine making (making it readily available) and is the preferred sanitizer in large scale wine making. Thus, it is popular for sanitizing in home wine making, as well. The cost per gallon difference between Star San and K-Meta does not seem to be significant to me, 30 cents versus 50 cents. Star San becomes far less expensive because it can be reused, making its cost more like 5-10 cents per gallon. K-Meta in liquid form, on the other hand, has a shelf life of only about a month.

I'm going with Star San for everything but bottles, not rinsing any of it.

Actually, K-meta can be reused. As for K-meta shelf life, I have kept in sealed containers and spray bottles for several months.

Actually, K-meta can be reused. As for K-meta shelf life, I have kept in sealed containers and spray bottles for several months.

Clearly K-meta solution can be reused, the issue is at what effectiveness. All the research I've done in recent days indicates that K-meta powder and solution loose effectiveness in a relatively short period of time. The loss in effectiveness is caused by contact to air and/or temperature, so if you keep the K-meta in a sealed container filled to the top at around 60 degrees you'll probably be OK for several months, but clearly at a loss in strength. Star San, on the other hand, can be reused almost indefinitely.

Also, you mention storing in containers and spray bottles. I hope they're not plastic. K-meta breaks-down plastic, creating two problems. First, the break-down allows air to enter through the wall of the container. Beyond that, the break-down means that container particles are dissolving into the K-meta. Thus, your solution will contain plastic.

Here's an article from WineMaker Magazine that's pretty good:

http://winemakermag.com/stories/wiz...for-sanitizing-to-lose-its-strength-over-time

Tony

TonyP, I want to thank you for starting this post. This was very informative and I love how you added the reference as well for anyone to read.

I learned a lot from this thread.

Julie, thanks for the note. I have an unrelated question for you I'll be sending later. On the issue of K-meta effectiveness, I'm wondering if the forum has a place to propose surveys or studies under a moderator. It would be good if a group could get together to study K-meta under differing storage and temperature situations. SO2 readings could be taken at the start and monthly. Then we'd have actual data to use. I just don't know how to suggest such a thing. Also, there's no wine making club in my area or I'd go that route.

Tony P.

Thanks, for the research, Tony. Yep, my spray bottle is plastic. I go through enough of it that I don't worry about it breaking down the plastic. My corkidore is also a plastic, 5 gallon bucket wit the lid snapped down. I've had K-meta in the bucket for many, many months and when I open the lid, the smell would knock me on my arse. Thanks, again for your feedback.

Julie, thanks for the note. I have an unrelated question for you I'll be sending later. On the issue of K-meta effectiveness, I'm wondering if the forum has a place to propose surveys or studies under a moderator. It would be good if a group could get together to study K-meta under differing storage and temperature situations. SO2 readings could be taken at the start and monthly. Then we'd have actual data to use. I just don't know how to suggest such a thing. Also, there's no wine making club in my area or I'd go that route.

Tony P.

I will check into this and let you know if we can do this.

So after reading the Wine Maker Mag article, it left me wondering if storing my excess k-meta solution in the refrigerator would help maintain its strength and effectiveness? Anyone?

Last edited:
So after reading the Wine Maker Mag article, it left me wondering if storing my excess k-meta solution in the refrigerator would help maintain it's strength and and effectiveness? Anyone?

Refrigeration should help maintain potency, particularly in a full glass container. The concern I have is that K-meta looses some potency so you never know when the reduction becomes significant. Overall, I'm convinced Star sans is the superior sanitizer. It's still less expensive and sanitizes effectively.

Tony

Also, you mention storing in containers and spray bottles. I hope they're not plastic. K-meta breaks-down plastic, creating two problems. First, the break-down allows air to enter through the wall of the container. Beyond that, the break-down means that container particles are dissolving into the K-meta. Thus, your solution will contain plastic.

Can you provide more information on this? I haven't been able to find any documents that indicate that k-meta would have this effect on plastic.

Latest posts

Back