Star san

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I made up my star San solution today And this is the first time in a couple years of making it where the solution is a blue color. Usually it is always clear. Weird.

I sometimes get blue water when I rinse my wine containing vessels with tap water. Probably a reaction between the acids and hardness of the water.

Never had it turn blue. Mine is always cloudy - I think probably due to the hardness of my water.
Never had it turn blue. Mine is always cloudy - I think probably due to the hardness of my water.
Never had it turn blue. My understanding is a cloudy solution indicates it has lost its sanitizing properties. Cloudy I have seen. I now use distilled water and it stays crystal clear forever. If you want to be sure of StarSan potency, check the ph. If it reads under 3.0 you are fine.

it is two years old now. I had just made some up a Jan and it was crystal clear. Now has with a blue tint. I'll check PH Now.

My understanding is a cloudy solution indicates it has lost its sanitizing properties. Cloudy I have seen. I now use distilled water and it stays crystal clear forever. If you want to be sure of StarSan potency, check the ph. If it reads under 3.0 you are fine.
I've heard that about it getting cloudy also, but I don't think it's true. I was worried about that so I kept mixing up new batches everytime I did something. Started checking the pH and it seems to be fine after weeks. Now I keep a spray bottle filled with it and I just refill it whenever I mix up a larger batch for bottling or whatever. I don't really care if it's clear or cloudy as long as it works.

Latest posts

Back