Star San

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Junior
Reaction score
I have used sulfite in the past to sanitize but I thought Star San might be an improvement. I know the slogan "don't fear the foam" but as I started to sanitize my bottles, they were filling with foam. I didn't want to ruin a batch of wine so I went back to sulfite. Would the foam be a problem or not?

I have been using star san to sanitize my bottles and all equipment over and over for years with no problems at all I keep a couple of gallons in a bucket and soak my racking canes bottle fillers and hoses right before use....dont fear the foam!

Mike

As long as the bottles/carboy is fully drained I would not worry about it. I've been using it for 2 1/2 years now and no issues with tainted wine. The concentration is low and the amount left in your bottle is minute.
Just drain them well. Give them an hour to drain and there should be no issue if the bottles are still dripping when you are ready to use them - then wait.

I’ve bottled around 3,000 bottles using StarSan as the sanitizer, the foam can be annoying, but if you lower the feed vacuum/fill rate it can be kept under control. Other than that, I’ve found that it is tasteless and oderless as advertised.

Keep in mind that the solution is only good for a few days. Supposedly it gets cloudier as time goes on and once cloudy, is no longer good.

I use it as well. I just use a bottle drain tree and let them hang for a few hours before filling them.

Keep in mind that the solution is only good for a few days. Supposedly it gets cloudier as time goes on and once cloudy, is no longer good.

I use it as well. I just use a bottle drain tree and let them hang for a few hours before filling them.

Believe you are confusing Star-San with One-Step. Star-san keeps very well, is easy to mix and yes, when it goes cloudy it's probably wise to discard it. The company states that as long as the pH remains at or below 3.0 the solution is effective. ( https://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech-HB2.pdf )

I believe if you use distilled water to mix it with, it will not turn cloudy and can be used for a very long time.

I read somewhere on their site about it only being good for a few days. Not going to search for it now though. I do see where it says the pH below 3 should work and I think that would trump all anyway. I don't have the ability to test that at home currently though.

One-step is only good for 24-48 hours if I recall.

I believe you are right as well 4score. Just seems like a pain to me lol.

I use distilled water and just tested my current mix of StarSan that is at least 3-4 weeks old and pH is currently 2.27. It foams up well and so far no problems keeping it a month or more.

I mix 1 gallon at a time and keep it in a 1 gallon glass carboy. If I use tap water it gets cloudy immediately or at least within a few days.

One Step by the way is no longer advertised by the maker as a sanitizer AND because it's an oxidizer it breaks down very fast. I stopped using it as soon as I found out short a time it lasts.

Cloudy in a few days sounds like a short period of time. Mine has stayed clear for months. It all depends on the water PH.

Yeah, mine is cloudy immediately and just gets worse. Maybe the distilled water is worth it for me.

I use distilled water and store my solution in a one gallon plastic Heinz vinegar jug. It can keep for months with no issues. I generally use it to refill my little spray bottle.

I use distilled water and store my solution in a one gallon plastic Heinz vinegar jug. It can keep for months with no issues. I generally use it to refill my little spray bottle.

I’ve always soaked with Star San. Is spraying sufficient?

I’ve always soaked with Star San. Is spraying sufficient?

I soak tubes and slosh starsan in buckets and carboy but spray other surfaces before and during racking, sampling, bottling etc. It’s been working for me.

The key is to have the solution in contact with the surface for 1 minute. With spray or foam or soaking the key is the time it's covering the surface. If the entire surface is wet down with solution you should be fine - unless you live in the desert and the stuff dries in less than a minute. (Lived there and it can happen.) :)

Latest posts

Back