Star San for santitizing wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskins

Reaction score
Is star san a good sanitizer for cleaning my new cases of empty wine bottles? I plan on bottling in a few days and will purchase a bottle rinser sulfiter tool and a bottle tree for them to drain/dry. I'm assuming that i just fill the bottle rinser with the diluted star san sultion pump the bottles a few times, let them drain/dry on the tree and they are ready to be filled?

Thanks!

could you recommend me a good product to use in the bottle rinser for my wine bottles if star san will not work? Thanks again!

I don't disagree with Doug that k-meta is used more in wine and Star San is used more in beer. However, numerous wine makers use Star San, including me (I use both for different items.), and you'll be fine if you prefer Star San. If you want to use Star San and are concerned about the impact, just wait for it to dry.

Having said that, I use k-meta for bottles because I don't like the foaming Star San makes in the bottle, but that's just a personal thing. K-meta can be used with a Avvinator (I take it that's what you're referring to.) Let the bottles stand upright for 6 minutes in order for the solution to work, then drain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, i will order some off amazon today :) One more question regarding K-meta. I am doing a grand cru pinot grigio and the instructions said 2 weeks fermintation, then 2 weeks in carboy after stabalize/clear. No if i want to siphon this into another carboy to bulk age do i need to add some K-meta to it if i plan to age for a couple months? I belive some was already added during the stablize clearing from one of the packets that came with the kit?

Thanks!

I don't disagree with Doug that k-meta is used more in wine and Star San is used more in beer. However, numerous wine makers use Star San, including me (I use both for different items.), and you'll be fine if you prefer Star San. If you want to use Star San and are concerned about the impact, just wait for it to dry.

Having said that, I use k-meta for bottles because I don't like the foaming Star San makes in the bottle, but that's just a personal thing. K-meta can be used with a Avvinator (I take it that's what you're referring to.) Let the bottles stand upright for 6 minutes in order for the solution to work, then drain.

Will star san work in the Avvinator or does it foam up too much and make a mess?

They make a non foaming star stan.... It's the same company I think, I'll look at it when I get home.

I'm no authority, but I have been using Starsan with an Avvinator and a bottle tree. Three or four pumps and then hang the bottle on the tree. No problems with foam.

I then bottles with it, but use K-meta solution in the pump bottle rinser tool and place it on a bottle tree to drip dry. The K-meta gets all the bubbles out. It also dries with a bit of K-meta inside which help presever wine.

I use iodophor for sanitizing..never had any off tastes. I use the oven for sanitizing my wine bottles.

How long do you normally let the bottles drip dry? Is it okay to bottle if they are still wet or would you wait untill they are completely dry from rinsing with k-meta?

How long do you normally let the bottles drip dry? Is it okay to bottle if they are still wet or would you wait untill they are completely dry from rinsing with k-meta?

Keep in mind that k-meta sanitizes by emitting SO2 gas which takes about 6 minutes to work. Thus, you need to leave it at least that long and perhaps an extra minute or two. Note that SO2 is heavier than air and will fall out if the bottles are left to drain upside down. Leave them upright, then turn them over for a little while to drain.

Latest posts

Back