Star San Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJI324

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone Star San their corks? It seems that would be a quick way to sanitize them. Any issues with doing it?

First batch I ever made I star-saned the corks, it glued the corks in. I don't know if the acid loosened the adhesive used to hold the bits of cork together or if just the star san itself left behind a residue but those were the hardest to open bottles ever. Had the set them on the floor between my feet, use a levered cork screw and hope it didn't break the bottle or spill when the cork broke loose.

I am having the exact same problem and was wondering if it was the star San. I have broken 2 cork screws in the last month.

I did use Star San but it rusted my floor corker so I make sure my corks are dry now. I'm not so sure they need to be sanitized. I've never had them cause the corks to stick to the bottles.

I keep corks sealed in the original package, using a binder clip after the bag has been opened. I do not sanitize before use, and I've never had an infection problem from the corks.

Thirty years ago I did sanitize, and like @VinesnBines I had my floor corker rust. I need to tear the corker apart, sand, and paint it. I'm betting that getting those bolts out is going to be a joy ....

Thirty years ago I did sanitize, and like @VinesnBines I had my floor corker rust. I need to tear the corker apart, sand, and paint it. I'm betting that getting those bolts out is going to be a joy ....
The bolts were not the biggest pain. Getting the brass jaws and springs back together was an exercise in marital harmony. One person couldn't do it. Take pictures BEFORE you take it apart. Numbering the jaws helped.

The bolts were not the biggest pain. Getting the brass jaws and springs back together was an exercise in marital harmony. One person couldn't do it. Take pictures BEFORE you take it apart. Numbering the jaws helped.
My unit is 30+ years old, so I figure the bolts will be rusted in.

I recall someone (you?) mentioning taking pictures and numbering the jaws. I will certainly do this!

There is no need to get the corks wet when using meta--a strong solution of meta emits a cloud of SO2--we've all gotten a whiff of it. Simply suspend the corks in some kind of container like a sieve or strainer over a vessel containing the meta solution. Or, you could close up the corks in a container where you burn a sulfur strip.

I've tossed my corks in a bowl with star san just before corking for the last 5 years of kit making. Never had a problem.

I do the same. Put the corks in a container with Star-San and a lid. Shake it up, let them sit in the Star-San a few minutes, then drain off the Star-San. Never a problem corking or uncorking.

Back