Stalled fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger200

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I have both a white and red 5 gallon carboy that both seem to have stalled fermentation.

Both started off with a S.G. of about 1.084 when I put the yeast in on November 11th.

I have been checking the S.G. regularly and I have stalled at 1.031 for the red and 1.035 for the white. They haven't moved for a few weeks and I see no bubbles. I put yeast nutrient in with the yeast and I have heating pads under both carboys that keep the temp around 68-70.

I was expecting to get closer to a 1.00 S.G .

Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

Yes. I guess my ignorance....I thought that's what it was for

You aren't the first to do that. There are spreadsheets and webpages available to do the conversion. Is always the first question most of us ask when someone says they have a stuck fermentation.

I measured SG with my hydrometer and came up with about .998 and 1.002. So thanks for the reply!

For a dry wine, I normally don't add potassium sorbate (and potassium metabisulfite at the same time), but in your case, I would be sure to as the sorbate, even if you don't backsweeten. You are in the zone that could start refermentation again, later. If it were below 0.996, I would call it fully dry.

Back