Stalled Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Basilhaydens

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a batch that i think has stalled out. Started 6 gallons of welches concentrate. Had an uh oh moment when i added sugar and added to much and started with a SG of 1.122. About half way through i stirred it really good and it overflowed out of my bucket like a volcano. Now about 3 weeks later its stuck at 1.025ish. So since it is about 12% now i would be ok with keeping it at that, or should i repitch some yeast and let it go down below 1.00?

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
Wine, ,, all foods are hedonic. If it is acid balanced it can taste excellent at 1.025ish .
ex I looked at a rhubarb from the vinters club at 1.020 with a TA of 0.8% and it was good (to my taste buds) and a commercial rhubarb from Tennessee with a 1.046; TA 2% and pH of 2.94 and it seems balanced, but sweeter than I would make.

I would sample a glass and try it with a few grains of acid blend (as if judging wine) to see if it is improved. My bias is high fruit so I would also try it at a few drops of Real Lemon and northern hybrid grape. ,,,,, if acid blend is what balances then at bottle time I would do an official bench trial ,,,,, if fruit is better tasting I would add enough to drop the alcohol about 1% (ie finished wine at 11% ABV) at racking time and let the solids drop making a clear wine.

Yes you could add 1118 or Pasteur Champagne, the bias would be that you want ONLY dry wine in your house, and your friends ONLY drink dry wine.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with @Rice_Guy, do you like the wine as it is now? If you do, stabilize with sorbate and K-meta, and proceed with clearing.

If it's too sweet, you can add a bit of tartaric acid, going VERY carefully. Any time you're adding anything, do it in small increments, stir well, and taste. If you think it needs just a bit more, stop! Taking out the acid is far more difficult than putting it in. ;)

Otherwise, pitch EC-1118 and let it ferment as far as it will go. You can backsweeten afterward.

However, keep in mind that if it ferments out, you'll get ~16% ABV. If you don't want that much alcohol, stabilizing as-is may be a better choice.

Basilhaydens

Reaction score
I agree with @Rice_Guy, do you like the wine as it is now? If you do, stabilize with sorbate and K-meta, and proceed with clearing.
I'm fine with the way it tastes now. So can I add the sorbate and K-meta, stir really good then add my super kleer or should I wait a few days before i add the kleer. I want to clear this quickly to drink now so I don't want to age this one. I have some dragon blood that's aging.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
Clearing reduces population that needs to be immobilized with sorbate. Clear first. Then Treat with meta and sorbate and finally bottle.
Down the road if you have a wine that is back sweetened let the sorbate act on the yeast two days, then sweeten and bottle.

Last edited:

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Clearing reduces population that needs to be immobilized with sorbate. Clear first. Then Treat with meta and sorbate and finally bottle.
At first I agreed with you, but then I considered that the agitation might kick off the fermentation again. It probably won't, but I'm sure there a corollary to Murphy's Law regarding fermentation restarting when not wanted. For that reason I'd add the sorbate/K-meta, degas, then add the fining agents in the course of an hour (allowing hour between kieselsol & chitosan).

@Basilhaydens, there's no real problem if the fermentation starts from manual agitation, it just changes the outcome. IMO both outcomes will be a positive result for you, so you can't lose. :)