stalled ferment issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I started a batch of sweet cherry using cherry concentrate from Coloma at a tad stronger than full strength combined with 5# of sugar. For a total of 6 gal

S.G was 1.114

Using a calibrated digital ph meter, it took 10 TBS of acid blend to get a 3.45 reading. That seemed like a lot of acid blend but that's what it took.

Pitched K1V116 yeast and fermentation started out nicely.

At day 9 the SG was 1.020

At day 11, still 1.020
added some nutes and energizer and continued to stir 3x daily

at day 13, still 1.020 – added a packet of EC1118

today is day 16 – no sign of restart and still 1.020 the ph is now 3.67

Temps have been between 68 and 72 F

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

one method to restart a fermentation is get a starter going with EC1118 was bubbling add one cup of must once bubbling add two cups of must one bubbling add four cups continue in this manner doubling the must each time until entire batch moving along

Thanks! Since posting this I ran across an ECKrause method which I have started. If that doesn't work I will try this.

I have not used it yet but Mangrove Jack SN9 wine yeast is advertised as a "Go To" yeast for restarting stuck ferments as well as great for Fruit wines.
Again that's just what I have seen. I recently purchased 3 packets. (Runs about $3.00 per packet give or take + Shipping)

BUT I've had issues with wine batches previously when I was shooting for a high ABV. The last batch I did recently I started at 1.108 and then I step fed it to get it to finish. Effectively I had an SG of 1.128 and it finished at .994 so. You might try that in the future.

What I understand is that while a wine yeast may be advertised as being good for up to 18% ABV that is under controlled conditions and you may not be matching those conditions. I'm going to use the step feeding method from here on out for my higher ABV wines.

Also even when a wine is listed as good to ferment at 58 degrees, That's again under their laboratory conditions. Personally I always try to start my batches warmer and then cool off the room after it;s started. Winter time ferments seem to be the toughest ones for me. Summer time - I had 3-4 day ferment times for a 12.5% to 14% wine batch.

Last edited:
I have not used it yet but Mangrove Jack SN9 wine yeast is advertised as a "Go To" yeast for restarting stuck ferments as well as great for Fruit wines.
Again that's just what I have seen. I recently purchase 3 packets. (Runs about $3.00 per packet give or take + Shipping

BUT I've had issues with wine batches previously when I was shooting for a high ABV. The last batch I did recently I started at 1.108 and then step fed it to get it to finish. Effectively I had an SG of 1.128 and it finished at .994 so. You might try that in the future.

What I understand is that while a wine yeast may be advertised as being good for up to 18% ABV that is under controlled conditions and you may not be matching those conditions. I'm going to use the step feeding method from here on out for my higher ABV wines.

Also even when a wine is listed as good to ferment at 58 degrees, That's again under their laboratory conditions. Personally I always try to start my batches warmer and then cool off the room after it;s started. Winter time ferments seem to be the toughest ones for me. Summer time - I had 3-4 day ferment times for a 12.5% to 14% wine batch.

Good info. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back