Stalled cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started two gallons of hard cider back in Sept - cider was from a local orchard, pasteurized for retail sale (no sorbate or other additives other than citric acid).
  • One with QA23 yeast, OG boosted to 1.070 with brown sugar (also added pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient)
  • Second gallon used S-04 (Graham's English Cider recipe) - OG 1.058.
After a month plus (T=68F), both were sitting at 1.022. I went ahead and racked, and moved to a warmer room (warmer T - close to 70). With no change to SG, I created a yeast starter using E1118 and added. They both started bubbling nicely and I kept them in the warmer space. Unfortunately, things got busy and they were left to do their thing with no additional attention.

Now - 6 weeks after adding the yeast starter, I rechecked SG. Both ciders still read at 1.020 (hydrometer). No off-odors or any indication of 'nasties', but clearly not fermenting.

Thoughts on what went wrong? What I should do next?

A guess is yeast nutrition. Fermaid is more balanced than DAP (yeast nutrient).
My first use would be to drink it as is, it should make a good mulled wine for the holidays. Second approach would be to try a restart with a stronger champagne yeast after Fermaid. Temps down to 55 should work well, that shouldn’t be the issue. Acid can stop a ferment (as in cranberry) it would be interesting to know your pH if you added acid blend.

I make my hard cider with a hint of sweetness; I'd be happy with those numbers. I like super dry reds but cloudy, slightly sweet cider. Those numbers sound great for a holiday mulled cider. Two gallons would vanish with my Christmas mob. I have trouble keeping my cider from drying out a little more in the bottles. Never bottle bombs but just a little too dry.

Thanks - given record-breaking temps here, the thought of warming it up, throwing in some spices and drinking it sounds tempting. I may continue to try getting one gallon to ferment more fully using a starter (KV1116) and some Fermaid O.

Latest posts

Back