Stainless vc tank got me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheesh

Reaction score
So, after realizing last years pinot was oxidized and ruined, I read all the comments on here about these tanks. My question is, if I float a layer of co2 pn top, wouldn'tt this protect the wine indefinitely? And since I don't like a lot of oak in my wine, what would I look for in a barrel? Neutral oak? Thanks in advance

OK,

A couple of questions first...

1) What is the size of your tank?
2) Have you maintained a healthy PH level? if so, then what was it?
3) do you truly "float" the lid on the surface or do you leave a gap?
4) Are you sure that you had the gasket pumped to correct pressure?

Sparging (or filling the tank with co2) will not really help in your case. I have used tanks for 18 years or so and have not had a problem.

Ph was 3.2, tank 100 L, my fault, I did leave room under the lid......why is that sparging the head space won't keep it safe? Thx

Ph was 3.2, tank 100 L, my fault, I did leave room under the lid......why is that sparging the head space won't keep it safe? Thx

3.2 is a bit too low. I prefer to be in the area of 3.4. This may have contributed.

100l tank. This is a rather small one. With tanks you need to consider the amount of surface area VS the total volume of the tank. By leaving a sizable gap between the wine and the lid, you also run the risk of oxidation.

When it comes to sparging, you do not fully displace the air inside your tank. Want happens is that the air is only mixed with CO2. Also, if you are using a fermentation trap, your tank will breathe due to barometric and temperature changes. This effect gets much worse, the more headpace you have.

here are some recommendations ...

1) check your gasket, especially at the seam. If this seems rough, then get a new one.

2) check to make sure that the lip/top of your tank is reasonably circular.

3) re-evaluate the amount of k-meta you use. K-meta helps prevent oxidation.

4) make sure the lid is as low as possible.

5) if the above does not work, sell the tank and get two 54 liter demijohns.

6) raise your ph.

7) increase the amount of tannins. This is an antioxidant and will also help protect your wine.

Last edited:
I don't see how a pH of 3.2 would increase the risk of oxidation. I have found that the lower pH helps prevent wine from oxidizing as easily. It certainly lowers the amount of sulfites needed.

I don't see how a pH of 3.2 would increase the risk of oxidation. I have found that the lower pH helps prevent wine from oxidizing as easily. It certainly lowers the amount of sulfites needed.

Good point and yes, you are correct. Higher acid actually helps to prevent oxidation. I misspoke above, I read it as low ph, but was thinking low acid. What can I say except it sucks getting old!

Still, depending on the wine) a 3.2 is (IMHO) abnormally high

It is confusing. In order to make it clear, when you say 3.2 is abnormally high, you might specify high ph or high acid since they go in opposite directions.

Back