Stainless steel tank rusting!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforever

Reaction score
I have a few year old stainless tank and I’ve noticed a little rust Around the nozzle on the inside of the tank. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestion on how to get rid of it?

Are there dissimilar metals there? If so, corrosion is not unexpected. But what kind of tank, is it welded or how is the nozzle secured?

What kind of steel? 304, 316?

To remove, I'd try something like Barkeepers Friend.

Also, a concentrated K-meta solution can corrode some stainless steel.

Sadly I just noticed that the nozzle isint stainless steel and I think that’s where the problem started. I’m not sure what type of stainless steel it is, I bought it from my local wine supply store.

the nozzle is secured with a thread and I left the tank upside down to dry for a while and the rust started falling towards the middle of the tank.

I’ll look into that for removing it, I’ve also been reading that I could try baking soda and water mix or vinegar.

Is the SS magnetic? Do you have access to a strong (rare-earth) magnet to check?

(For the uninitiated, some grades of SS, like the 400 series, are ferromagnetic. They have their place, but are not quite as rust-resistant as the 300-series. They have other favorable qualities for other applications.)

one of the classes taught that nitric acid could be used to create a reductive stainless steel surface, I am not aware of any product where this is formulated for use. If hunting for a retail size I would start in the dairy industry since there were/are lots of small users of stainless. One of the tricks I found for corrosive valves/fittings is that Teflon tape will insulate the surfaces enough that they don’t rust together.

@sour_grapes am periodically amazed at your knowledge base,:b I expect most home/non-factory stainless is 304

Edit ?? I have to wonder what the chemical is in naval jelly? ? ? also what is the active ingredient in the paint treatment for rusty metal ??

Last edited:
Edit ?? I have to wonder what the chemical is in naval jelly? ? ? also what is the active ingredient in the paint treatment for rusty metal ??

Naval jelly and Ospho type products are Phosphoric Acid based. It converts the surface to Iron Phosphate which is a good surface for paint.

Last edited:
I have strong neo magnets that I can try to see if my tank is magnetic or not.

the next nozzle I buy will be plastic not going to buy any metal ones anymore.

does anybody have a suggest on how to get rid of the rust.

mice read vinegar or baking soda with water might get it off and brushing it with a toothbrush??
Any suggestions

Start with the most mild cleaners first, if no success then go with @CDrew recommendation of Bar Keepers Friend. Obviously you need to get rid of anything that is rusting, and the comment about stainless steel being attacked by sulfite solutions is true, sulfite solutions can be used for sanitizing, but stainless equipment should not be stored long term with sulfite solutions. Threaded connections can harbor sulfite residue and be attacked during storage, thorough rinsing with clean water is needed.

I hate this damn nozzle and the company that put the nozzle on. I paid a good amount of money for this tank just so it can come with a pos none ss nozzle. I have an older tank that came with a plastic nozzle and there are no issues at all. Really frustrated that they would do something like this.

Maybe post a photo of the nozzle. I too would be concerned that a stainless steel tank would be supplied with anything other than stainless steel nozzles. Are you saying that the welded nozzle is not stainless? Was this an aftermarket install?

I’m trying to post a picture but it’s saying the file is to large. I know it’s hard to see but it’s the tank to the right in my profile picture. It’s not welded it’s threaded it wasn’t a aftermarket install.

We are confusing some terminology, but I understand. I see some references to Marchisio supplying these tanks with a chrome plated brass spigot, obviously it would be best to replace with stainless (or plastic if you desire). If you decide to replace, be careful with the threads, I see two different spigot thread types available NPT and BSP, be certain to verify what you have.

Ya they refer to it as a spigot, I was on their website and see that it says it’s chrome plated. I just can’t believe it.

today I’m going to try to rub it with vinegar and see what happens.

Just wanted to update this forum on what I did to get rid of it seems (time will tell)

I used vinegar and poured it over the spot and let it sit for 5-10min and brushed it with my toothbrush. After that I used baking soda with water and got the rest of it.

I think I over reacted and thought my tank was rusting but now I believe the rust/water from the spigot leaked down and was just surface rust (hopefully)

Latest posts

Back