stainless steel tank lid on juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lid on juice

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wineforever

Reaction score
my wine just finished its 1st phase pf fermentation and now i just put it into a 150 litre ss tank. i see some poeple say to leave the lid right on top of the wine but others say to give it 1 inch of space. i left 1 inch of space but just want to see what other people are doing. this is my second time making wine and just trying to work out some kinks. should the lid every touch the wine? even in the final racking and storing? thanks for all the answers.

It depends on how active it is. I find leaving some space is most often better to avoid wine overflowing and/or seeping around the seal.

If your wine is not degassed, leave some space no mater where you store it. Airlock.

If your wine is degassed, and you have a place to store for aging it that does not undergo much temperature variations, then float the lid. Else, leave some space, and fill the space with CO2, N or AR and seal -- no airlock in either case.

Back