Stainless barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wineries use them all the time. Grab them fast. How many?
I bought a dozen 50L kegs, i have two half barrels kegs and about five 1/4 barrel kegs.

They look like old style beer kegs, on my phone I can't view thumbnails for some reason. Stainless kegs are ideal IMO provided they’re pristine clean, I’ve bulk aged wine in corny kegs in the past and over this winter have put nearly 20 batches in them after being in glass for several months.

They look like old style beer kegs, on my phone I can't view thumbnails for some reason. Stainless kegs are ideal IMO provided they’re pristine clean, I’ve bulk aged wine in corny kegs in the past and over this winter have put nearly 20 batches in them after being in glass for several months.
They have airlocks so they have been used as fermenters or aging tanks.

They have airlocks so they have been used as fermenters or aging tanks.
I was finally able to download the pic and only see wood bungs in them I believe. I can make out what appears to be Ballantine Newark NJ on one of them.
They are a type of Hoff Stevens beer keg but they would work well for fermenters or aging tanks. The only caveat that occurs to me is if they were used to age sour beer with Brett but I’m not sure that would be an issue with wine. If they are currently being used successfully for wine then they should be fine.
I agree with @CDrew that sanke kegs would be better but if they’re free or cheap enough there’s that. I have a dozen or so sanke kegs but for me they don’t lend themselves well to the batch size I have heretofore made. If I ever get into larger batches in the future I’d definitely use those puppies.
Used beer kegs can develop beer stone and again not sure if that would be detrimental to aging wine in them. I have an endoscope I’ve used to inspect my sanke kegs prior to the sanitization step for beer.

Star San makes a beer stone remover but it is pricy. Milk stone remover is cheaper and easy to find at farm supply stores.
i have Sanjeev kegsbut I know wineries are using those style kegs. I was going to buy some from a winery but they wanted $60 each. I passed. With the bung on the side it is more like a wood barrel.

Latest posts

Back