Stag's Leap opinion?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I see a deal offered through my credit card - spend $300 at Stag leaps website, get $90 back. Part of me says "I can make 60 bottles versus buying 2-3 bottles of Stag's leap" while the devil in me says "That might be really cool to have for VERY special occasions in the future years".

Assuming that I'm like most people and not Bill Gates, I'd love to hear your views on it. In particular, is Stag's Leap really the bomb?

I see a deal offered through my credit card - spend $300 at Stag leaps website, get $90 back. Part of me says "I can make 60 bottles versus buying 2-3 bottles of Stag's leap" while the devil in me says "That might be really cool to have for VERY special occasions in the future years".

Assuming that I'm like most people and not Bill Gates, I'd love to hear your views on it. In particular, is Stag's Leap really the bomb?

They make some very nice wine and are in Napa, which is one of the pricier areas. Every vintage and varietal from a winery is different, so not everything that a particular winery does is "the bomb". If you're interested in a particular vintage / wine from Stag's Leap, I'd be happy to look it up and share the review. There are some times when splurging to buy a wine that you "just have to have" is just fine, and a personal decision which I've been guilty of............ plenty times.

If you are a value hunter, there are relatively easy ways to get wines with a much better QPR, that is, highly rated wines for the cost per bottle. Knowing what you like is important, and finding a rating service that's in line with what you like is important. For me, Wine Advocate is my go to, when I taste a wine and like it, they typically have it rated highly, and the reverse is also true, in that their highly rated wines are enjoyed by me as well. I use their service and advanced search functions to identify the highly rated, lowest priced wines of the varietal / region of interest. It's broadened my horizons in that I've tried some wines that were previously unknown, from places I'd never heard of, and even varietals I didn't know I'd like. The journey is an enjoyable one.

That said, if you have the $$ and just want to have a few special bottles that you've been coveting for special occasions, go for it!!!!!!!!!

Johnd,

Thanks for the input! Their website does show for some of the wines high ratings from various sources like Wine Advocate. If i went for the deal, I'd probably default to picking up the following:

1. 2014 Stags' Leap Winery Ne Cede Malis Petite Sirah Napa Valley

2. 2014 Stags' Leap The Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

3. 2014 Stags' Leap Coombsville Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

All very nice wines indeed.

1. Petite Sirah - WA 94+ (barrel tasting), not rated by CellarTracker, CT value $106.24, lowest online price from LincolnFineWines at $89.99

2. The Leap - I'm assuming this is the "reserve" wine. WA 94+ (barrel tasting), CT rated 92.5, CT value $80.85, lowest online price from Winesonline.bm at $112

3. Coombsville Cab - WA 94+ (barrel tasting), not rated by CellarTracker, CT value $77.66, best online price from Stags Leap at $85

A very nice selection of the Stags' Leap wines, you shouldn't be afraid to spend a little cake to get two or three of those in your cellar for special occasions. Don't know what you're paying for them individually, but the best value of the group appears to be the Petite Sirah, with an average value on CT or $106.24, but you can buy it online for $89.99, $26 in equity (so to speak), less shipping if applicable...........

All very nice wines indeed.

1. Petite Sirah - WA 94+ (barrel tasting), not rated by CellarTracker, CT value $106.24, lowest online price from LincolnFineWines at $89.99

2. The Leap - I'm assuming this is the "reserve" wine. WA 94+ (barrel tasting), CT rated 92.5, CT value $80.85, lowest online price from Winesonline.bm at $112

3. Coombsville Cab - WA 94+ (barrel tasting), not rated by CellarTracker, CT value $77.66, best online price from Stags Leap at $85

A very nice selection of the Stags' Leap wines, you shouldn't be afraid to spend a little cake to get two or three of those in your cellar for special occasions. Don't know what you're paying for them individually, but the best value of the group appears to be the Petite Sirah, with an average value on CT or $106.24, but you can buy it online for $89.99, $26 in equity (so to speak), less shipping if applicable...........

The names of each wine are linked to their respective pages online. I'd be paying Stag Leap's prices of $100, $115, and $85 respectively for $300 total (plus tax and shipping?) I'd get $90 back from my CC, so net cost would be $210. Thanks for all your info!

I just saw you're in Louisiana. My wife and I are heading down to "nawlins" in September (first time), staying in the French Quarter. Any secret insider info on a great place to eat, drink, or be merry? Contrary to the Stag's leap conversation, we're more of the good deal people than 5-star spenders.

I just saw you're in Louisiana. My wife and I are heading down to "nawlins" in September (first time), staying in the French Quarter. Any secret insider info on a great place to eat, drink, or be merry? Contrary to the Stag's leap conversation, we're more of the good deal people than 5-star spenders.

Certainly lots of great places to eat, drink and be merry in NO!! Get some beignets at Cafe du Monde for breakfast at least once while you're there. Visit the Carousel Bar (yes it moves in a circular fashion) just because it's pretty cool. Do all of the touristy stuff, Hurricane at Pat O'brien's, have a beer at the Old Absynthe House, that sort of stuff is all over the quarter. Eat some raw oysters at Felix's. Ride the streetcar down St. Charles Avenue. And please, try to keep your clothes on in public............LOL!!

If you treat the wife to one good meal while you are there, my favorite place is called "Clancy's". It's located in uptown, a short Uber from the quarter, and located in the middle of a beautiful residential area. In that area, the old neighborhood configuration is still in play, residential homes abound, but every so often there's a crossroad with a couple commercial establishment, neighborhood grocery, bar, restaurant, that's where Clancy's is. Make a reservation ahead of time if you intend to go, it's always been a locals favorite, though publicity has changed that some over the last decade or so. I've attached the link if you are interested, really nice place, good ambiance, fabulous NO cuisine. It's moderately priced,

https://www.clancysneworleans.com/

Latest posts

Back