Stabilizing Ice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to rack my (VIDAL)Ice wine. The 7 gallon carboy is at 1.07 and has been there for well over a month. The one gallon jug of ice wine is at 1.o6 and has been there for a month. I will be removing a half pound of chocolate out of the one gallon container. I will top that up with some of the wine from the 7 gallon carboy. I also have some regular Vidal Finished in a gallon jug for topping and will use that to top the 7 gallon carboy. Confused yet, sorry. My question is since I am not backsweetening (Duh) do I need to sorbate or just add the k-meta only?

Thats quite a bit of residual sugar. Omitting sorbate from a dry wine is OK, but I would be concerned about fermentation re-starting from such a sweet wine.

Steve

Yeah, Id hit it with sorbate and this is where your Enolmatic would shine here with the sterile filtering someday!

Yeah, Id hit it with sorbate and this is where your Enolmatic would shine here with the sterile filtering someday!

Yup I can see it happening. You know those filters are not all that expensive. The filter is about $55 but it is permanent. You can use it over and over. Heck Ive gone through probably $15 in filters this year already for the mini jet.

Yep plus the sorbate and worrying if the shelf life has expired on that and possibly having bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back