stabalized wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran365

Reaction score
Hi folks, wondering if wine, after 2-3 months in 2nd fermentation, with a SG <.990, is considered stabilized? What I'm getting at is can you bottle fully fermented out wine without further adjustments (Camden, pot. sorbate etc). Also has anyone experimented with non sugar sweeteners(for back sweetening): namely stevia, xylitol and a few others. Fran

You could do anything you wanted. Seems like your already aware of the recommended procedure. Just looking to simplify the process ? 2-3 months sounds long for just finishing ferment. Has it been at .990 for a while??
Your cool to skip sorbate since youve fermented dry. You can skip the Camden if you plan to drink it fairly soon.
Depending on the wine you'll probably get a decent amount of sediment in each bottle but a lot of people are OK with that too.
The only other thing to worry about would be all the CO2 in the bottle which can be dangerous. Just degas the everloving hell out of it and then degas some more. Hand stirring probably wouldn't get all of it and you would need a drill attachment or vacuum pump.
Even if you're comfortable with leaving the wine in the bottle unprotected with sediment you still need to be careful and eliminate any potential "bottle bombs"destroying your basement.
No idea about the sweeteners. I'm assuming you're asking since your skipping sorbate.

You could also try glycerin for sweetening, it's not fermentable.

Sorbate is your best option to protect against renewed fermentation if you do use fermentable sugar, unless you have the ability to accomplish sterile filtration.

You can skip the use of sulfites if you will be drinking your wine quickly, otherwise the risk of oxidation and/or bacterial infection becomes a real consideration.

There was someone on here that sweeten their wines for sweeteners and said the best way was to bottle it dry and just add it when you open the bottle.

Thank you gents, as I end my first year making wine I've had a large portion of my education at this spot, thanks again all. Fran

Latest posts

Back