WineXpert Squeezed the grape skins a little too much

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

amurfey

Reaction score
I'm making an Old Vines Zinfandel kit with grape skins. I probably got a little greedy when I removed the skins bag from the fermenter, and squeezed too much juice from the bag. So, I ended up with more juice than would fit into my 6 gal carboy, by about a quart or so. Not wanting to waste it, I put the excess into a sanitized mason jar, and have been using that throughout the remaining steps of the process.

Does this seem like it could cause any problems, when I mixed this all back together in the bucket for degassing, etc? At this point, I've already done it, so too late to turn back. I tasted the wine in the mason jar, and it seemed pretty good so far... no off flavors.

Appreciate any suggestions and feedback.

thanks.

Last edited:

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
I've made two of the old vine zin kit w/ skins and with the first one did the same thing and the wine still turned out very good. The worst that will happen is you might end up with a white ring residue around the neck of you carboy during secondary and/or aging. I believe if I remember correctly from another thread that this a protein resulting from over squeezing. If I'm remembering incorrectly someone will chime in.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I make a 60 gallon barrel of wine, I'll have all sorts of leftovers, that I'll fit in 6 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 1 gallon, growlers and even wine bottles. Cannot let any wine go to waste!

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Mason jars come in handy for that. I put them in the fridge to minimize oxidation. Leave the lid a little loose for a day or so though - that wine is likely still producing CO2.