Spruce tips.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Now to find a spruce tree with new growth. That may be a springtime project.

4.5 ltr water
250g fresh spruce tips
500g dark brown cane sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Boil all above and simmer for 30 mins.
Cool and strain into demijohn
Add 1tsp yeast and 1/2tsp of nutrient and shake.
Let it ferment to dry and then bottle with 1/2tsp table sugar per bottle.
SG was 1.040 I didn’t measure FG but it’s very dry so I’m going to assume 1 or less.

I let mine ferment for 5 weeks but I’m sure 3 weeks would do.

I bottled with 1/4tsp sugar by mistake as I used the wrong measuring spoon! Next time I’ll go for 1/2tsp but mine has a nice fizz all the same.

If I was to make a wine I don’t think I would increase the volume of spruce tips and brown sugar but would probably increase the SG with white sugar to around 1.080
This I would call seltzer not beer. (Get your fermentables from malted barley add some hops, then call it beer) I’m glad you like what you’ve made and find it drinkable.

Good or bad I'd like to know! Beech leaves are on the short list of doable leaf wines so it's definitely been done. It's on my list but near the bottom. Too much to do for the next few weeks to make any new wine. I'd like to experiment - are young leaves better than mature? Don't know, would like to find out.
I bottled the Beech leaf a couple of nights ago. It’s good, surprisingly good actually. Definitely one to try again.

I bottled the Beech leaf a couple of nights ago. It’s good, surprisingly good actually. Definitely one to try again.
Great! And you know, it doesn't surprise me that it's good...at least not anymore. I am amazed at the flavors I got from the yard this year. In fact, I'm planning a larger batch using vine trimmings next year.

I'll have to try beech. I have a huge ancient beech next to the house. Did you use young leaves or older?

I used the young translucent leaves. I found some information on foraging. If you were to pick the leaves for a salad you’d use the young leaves so I just went with that train of thought.
Old leaves would be worth a try but may be quite bitter.

I used the young translucent leaves. I found some information on foraging. If you were to pick the leaves for a salad you’d use the young leaves so I just went with that train of thought.
Old leaves would be worth a try but may be quite bitter.
I certainly agree with your "train of thought", thanks for the tip!
I didn't get to oak leaf wine this year, unfortunately, but read that young or old leaves can be used and the results will be completely different.

I’ve got 15ltrs or so oak leaf on the go just now. I started it at the end of august. It still looks like dish water but is starting to clear nicely. I’m looking forward to that one. Autumn oak leaf is my all time favourite country wine. Fingers crossed mine tastes as good as the commercial version.

Mmm, maybe. I’m not that sophisticated but I’ll give it a crack.
What you probably need to know is that I’m not keen on white grape wine of any type. The spring oak (from cain o’mhor winery near me) is quite close to a fresh zingy white wine. The autumn oak is heavier like a red wine or cider which is probably why I prefer it. Both have apple, citrus and peppery flavours running through. I could happily drink the autumn oak and nothing else.
Next time I’m passing I’ll pick up a couple of bottles. I’ll pay more attention to how they taste and take some notes.
if you’re interested Google “cairn O’mhor fruit winery, Errol, Perthshire”. They don’t take themselves too seriously hence the name (care no more).
Cosyden; Due to the newest rail strikes we will be driving on holiday in Scotland instead of the trains so we will be passing Perth. I want to find the Oak Leaf wines. Will my best bet be going to the winery? Is it very far off the A9? Do they give tastings in the shop?

Cosyden; Due to the newest rail strikes we will be driving on holiday in Scotland instead of the trains so we will be passing Perth. I want to find the Oak Leaf wines. Will my best bet be going to the winery? Is it very far off the A9? Do they give tastings in the shop?
The winery is just 20 mins off the a9 at a place called Errol. If you’re heading to Dundee you’ll pass right by it.
Pretty sure it’s open every day. Check out the website, I dare say they’ll do tastings. Cairn o' Mohr

Latest posts

Back