Spraying personal protective equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to make sure I'm protecting myself whilst spraying in the vineyard. I am currently using a knapsack sprayer, spraying only suplhur (Titan Ag top wettable 800wg) and copper (Nufarm champ 500wg) at label rates. Will potentially be moving towards a PTO fan sprayer when I expand my vineyard and get a new, bigger tractor.

Unfortunately the SDS on both of the products isnt very helpful, and amounts to "try not to breath it in or get in on you". Which is fine I guess, but I want to make sure I am doing it properly and not risking my health. When I have been using the knapsack, I have worn full body overalls and a A1+P2 respirator (https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-a1-p2-half-mask-respirator_p0301420). I also try to minimise getting the spray on me, but don't really want to rely on this - particulary with the fan sprayer mists.

So my questions are;
- For the knapsack, is this enough? What is everyone else doing?
- If I move to a PTO based sprayer with fans, is the above respirator and coveralls enough on an open station tractor, or should I really be getting a tracor with a cab?
- Is there anything else I should be doing?

A lot of the places locally I have spoken to haven't really given me confidence one way or the other. If I could get away with an open station tractor that would be ideal, but not at the risk of my health. I wont be spraying anything more nasty than copper and sulphur, i.e. no herbicides, pesticides etc. Grapes are grown organically and if anything more is needed I will contract it out.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back