Spraying after harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richinsd

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

Short time member and 1st time poster.

I wanted to get some feedback on whether anyone actually continues spraying for PM or DM (or any other organism) after harvest? We harvested just after Labor Day, but I was just walking thru the vineyard today and there are some spots that look a little rough. We tend to have fine mildew weather all the way past Thanksgiving (usually about the time leaf drop starts). Does anyone do this....or do you just quit after harvest and start back up again after pruning/dormant spray?

Richard

I continue to spray sulphur after harvest, definitely. The idea is to prevent powdery mildew by staying ahead of it, so yes...continue the spray. Powdery mildew can and will find a home in the bark of the vine, so it is best to stay ahead of it if you can. The nice part about spraying after harvest is the canopy and leaves are soon gone and the spraying of the vines themselves is pretty easy.

It’s my first harvest from our vineyard (planted 2018 - didn’t grow any fruit first 2 years). I did spray through fall the first two years (stylet) sort of by accident I guess. No harvest those years so I just kept doing what I had been doing. But since we actually grew/picked grapes this year I wasn’t quite sure what to do afterwards. I was curious if others here sprayed after harvest. I haven’t sprayed anything. Probably should have with the warm winter we are having (so far).

Richard

Latest posts

Back