Sprayer option for the small vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfournier

Reaction score
We planted 64 vines three years ago and are expecting our first harvest this year. As the vines are getting bigger and foliage is getting denser I'm looking for a better sprayer than the 2 gallon canister type I have been using up til now.

Previously some research I had done had pointed me to the my 4 sons backpack sprayer but in reading one of the northern grapes project news letters (vol 5 issue 1) the topic of backpack misters was mentioned. A Google search showed a few on Amazon for under $300, cheap enough for me to investigate further. I'm a little dubious as to the quality of the cheap units.

Has anyone tried this type of sprayer vs the more conventional wand sprayer? It seems that it gets you closer to an airblast style application and might be more effective.

We planted 64 vines three years ago and are expecting our first harvest this year. As the vines are getting bigger and foliage is getting denser I'm looking for a better sprayer than the 2 gallon canister type I have been using up til now.

Previously some research I had done had pointed me to the my 4 sons backpack sprayer but in reading one of the northern grapes project news letters (vol 5 issue 1) the topic of backpack misters was mentioned. A Google search showed a few on Amazon for under $300, cheap enough for me to investigate further. I'm a little dubious as to the quality of the cheap units.

Has anyone tried this type of sprayer vs the more conventional wand sprayer? It seems that it gets you closer to an airblast style application and might be more effective.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but I recall seeing on here, some time back, one of our members using a backpack sprayer in conjunction with a leaf blower to spray vines. IIRC, it seemed pretty economical since he already owned a sprayer and a leaf blower. I recall that the wand was attached to the blower with the nozzle in the airstream and it blasted a fine mist through the canopy quite effectively. I searched the forum but couldn't come up with the thread, but at least you can have the idea............

Last edited:
I have a Hudson backpack sprayer. It was about $125 a couple years ago on Amazon. It does the job well. I also have one of the $50 roundup sprayers and it works fine too. For the vineyard, I'd opt for the extra for Hudson.

I have 3 Solo back pack sprayers. Usually around $120 or less on sale. The older one is 14 years old and working as good as the day I bought it. I did replace the wand.

I sprung for the Hudson Never Pump 4 gallon backpack sprayer. I certainly think it was worth the investment.

I use a Hudson SP0 backpack sprayer fitted with a brass conejet spray nozzle (5500-X6) .

H

Best thing you can do if you get a backpack sprayer is to MacGyver a hip belt onto it off of an old backpack. I've got the Italia 4gal model and fully loaded, it's really heavy. A hip belt helps a whole lot.

I have 3 of the cheap harbor freight back pack sprayers. Works pretty well for my 75 vineyard. 4 gallons of spray is kind of heavy but doable for me. The 4 gallon capacity is just enough to cover all the vines right now. Probably won't be big enough as my vines mature. We are in year 3 with some vines doing great and others still getting to the wire. I expect we'll invest in a 15 gallon tow behind sprayer as the vines mature and foliage density increases.

Thanks for the input, I think I am going to go with a solo backpack for now and see how it goes, I've been spending a lot of money on these projects lately and will be spending more come harvest time.

Hudson does have a gas powered mister (18539) that is on sale on Amazon for $240 right now. Reviews seem mixed but some of that appears to use error. Not sure. It's certainly tempting at that price point. I'm a little concerned with drift with those misters though...

Back