Spray schedule info required

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Kneeland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So good news first. I planted 10 Marquette vines 10 days ago and they are already leafing. They all look healthy and vigorous.

The bad news, I have no clue as to what attacks I will be facing between insects and fungal infections.

Is there a thread or resource someone can point me to?

I am between Montreal and Ottawa. Don't know if we have Japanese beetles. And a quick glance seems to indicate that some of the more popular sprays in the US are not available.

I am fearing that these wonderful and succulent new leaves will fall prey to something before I act.

Thanks

* there is lots of spray info on WMT and it reads true and there are nice photos
* do you have a university extension? If not university of Pennsylvania has good info on the web, I also enrolled in Cornell’s grape grower weekly pest email
* black rot I spray every 9 days with a Dow fungicide I got 30 years ago, I could alternate with sulphur as an organic
* JB can wait till you see them, you will also find other bugs as grape weevils, an organic as pyrethrum will keep them down

You probably won’t kill the vines if you short the spray schedul but you will loose that years crop, Marquette is a nice vigorous grape

Marquette is the low spray/no spray grape. In your first year you may not need spray especially since you will not have a crop. You may not have much disease but I would suggest you contact other growers as well as check with your local agricultural service. Watch the Japanese Beetles, they can defoliant young vines in a day or two. Sevin spray works well.

After going nuts worrying about diseases on my Marquette grapes I almost killed them last week with fungicid.
a couple days ago I visited 8 Marquette plants I planted 7 years ago at my old house and with no spray or care they were very healthy. The new homeowners don’t do anything to them. So I guess I’m saying don’t overthink it.

So good news first. I planted 10 Marquette vines 10 days ago and they are already leafing. They all look healthy and vigorous.

The bad news, I have no clue as to what attacks I will be facing between insects and fungal infections.

Is there a thread or resource someone can point me to?

I am between Montreal and Ottawa. Don't know if we have Japanese beetles. And a quick glance seems to indicate that some of the more popular sprays in the US are not available.

I am fearing that these wonderful and succulent new leaves will fall prey to something before I act.

Thanks
As a commercial grower I would recommend a dusting/wettable sulfur for fungus and pyrethrin for bugs. Both are certified organic. Neem oil can also be used. It will handle most bugs/fungus/mites and is also organic. Make sure you read the labels of anything you apply.. some will have a phi or pre-harvest interval where it is not safe to harvest fruits until that interval is met. Penn state has a wealth of information in my experience.

If you are from the Greek culture you probably have eaten stuffed grape leaves, they contribute a mild bite to food. Personally the young leaves are better, older leaves tend to be more fibrous.
Those young leaves look so good, I want to eat them!
As @wood1954 pointed out the vines in food grade/ no intervention conditions survive well. ,,, much of our intervention is designed for fruit yield.

For the past few years I've been alternating Mancozeb and myclobutanil (both commonly available here in the States, but I don't know about in your neck of the woods. Myclobutanil can be bought as Spectracide Immunox). This is mostly to guard against black rot. So far no problems on my Marquette or other hybrids. I use Sevin for the Japanese Beetles. Grape cane girdler can be a nuisance here in New England in the spring, so sometimes I'll spray spinosad for them, which seems to work and is organic (I think).

Latest posts

Back