Spray Program

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - When do you need to start a spray program on vines? I have thirty 1-1 or 1-x vines coming from Double A and am wondering if I need to start a spray program in the first year.

10 Marquette
5 Marechal Foch
5 Frontenac Blanc
5 Prairie Star
5 Petite Ami

Starting small to see how these do in our environment.

Also, most of the fungicides that Double A carries are fairly expensive and I think with the limited amount of vines I have, I probably don't need the quantities that they sell. Is there somewhere to get smaller portions?

Thanks!

Are there any vineyards near you? It would probably be better to get area specific information from a source like that. Some people in that area don't routinely spray their vines and seem to do alright. Young vines are also open to good air movement keeping them dry and disease pressure down. You might be able to get by for a year or so before needing a real spray program. Check with your Extension office also and they can point you in the right direction.

Not sure where you are located, you can probably go with out much the first year, Japanese Beatles would probably be your biggest threat and depending how many they can strip a young plant and you Do Not want that. As far as buying chemicals check you local agricultural stores also the Internet. Ask people in your area that have gardens if no one has a vineyard.

Back