Spotted lanternflies are feasting on U.S. grapevines and putting vineyards at risk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was hopefully pushing the front yard for the last time this year on Saturday, I got near a maple in my front yard and wondered what was up with all the bees (in my mind, not more bees, too many run-ins this year). Looked up the trunk and saw nothing but lanternflies and sap. There wasn't a single one on that tree a month ago that I saw. Had a few nymphs on young walnut saplings in the back yard in early summer that I tested different sprays on (neem oil worked great, especially mixed with a little dish soap).

Our township (Latimore twp/Adams County) went from no reports of lanternflies to heavily infested in one season... Now it's time to search out and scrape egg cases off into something caustic, like gasoline or white vinegar. I just feel for all the orchard owners just a few miles north of me.

We got a mailer from the county yesterday with full descriptions and pictures, along w/ other info and saying if we see any, kill them.

Haven't encountered any in Michigan yet -- but had one land on my arm whilst golfing in the Poconos a few years back!

Latest posts

Back