Spoiled Ice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardweller

Junior
Reaction score
i have a bottle of ice wine I found that was not properly stored. It was a bottle we bought in 2010. My wife and I decided to open it up and it has I slight vinegar smell and taste. It’s not horrible but not good enough to drink. Now that it’s open, can I let it continue to convert to vinegar and use it for cooking or should I pour it down the drain. If I remember, it was about a $60 bottle. 350ml. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Luke

let it go to vinegar you may need to reduce alcohol content by adding one cup water to every two cups of wine. also add about 1/8 tsp of hydrogen peroxide which will reduce the sulfur.

Is there anything special I need to do (besides adding HP)? Keep sealed and refrigerate or age at room temp? Should I put an airlock on it?
Thanks again!

keep at room temp. I put mine in a mason jar with a cloth cover fastened with rubber band. it will take about a month or more to get to vinegar strength. do taste tests.

Hi Cellardweller Wine that turns to vinegar can be delicious, so good luck with this vinegar but you want to be careful. Live vinegar contains the bacteria that can easily turn other wines to vinegar too so you really want to keep this batch of vinegar well separated from any wine making equipment and any fermenting wines. It's the alcohol PLUS oxygen PLUS the bacteria that does the work.

Latest posts

Back