Split and Store ML Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Every once in a while we get questions about splitting and saving dry bacteria cultures. Some people have had success saving portions of bacteria for later use, but the manufacturers generally don't recommend saving unused bacteria once the package has been opened. I typically use the whole package for my batches, but for those people making smaller amounts of wine in carboys etc. the following information may be useful.

Before opening the package, shake the bacteria to one side and then work the bacteria into two halves by feel. Heat seal the package down the middle between the two portions of bacteria, this can probably be done a second time which would at least split the package into four rough portions, each portion being good for about 16gal inoculation (total 66gal/package typical). Many people probably have a food saver or similar device that can be used to make heat sealing easy, no need for vacuum as we are not opening the package.

Before throwing out my empty package of CH16, I decided to test the idea of heat sealing; I don't have a food saver so I just used a crude tool made from a soldering iron and folded piece of aluminum, dragging the tool across the package over the period of 10sec worked fine, I did this about five times 1/16" apart to ensure a good seal. This was just me playing around, but obviously the real heat sealer would be recommended if available. Last photo, after sealing I cut open the package and pulled on the heated seams, and proved it was not going to come apart without destroying the package.

open.JPG

sealed.JPG

heat seal check.JPG

Yea, that was my point also, I don't have a need to split the package with the size batches I typically make. I was just in the experimental mood and thought someone might benefit.

My intent was just to verify that the package could be heat sealed anywhere throughout the volume, residue on the inside of the package can play a role preventing a good seal, certain products being worse than others, in this case the dried bacteria doesn't seem to be a problem. The folded aluminum on the iron was just to distribute the heat to prevent overheating, I really didn't expect anyone to do what I did in the photo. Rather than the iron, I would use a food saver or other vacuum packaging device for the heat sealing only. The main point here is that the package doesn't need to be opened, just manipulated to separate the bacteria and heat sealed between portions, this prevents exposure to ambient contamination as each portion can be opened separately.

Every once in a while we get questions about splitting and saving dry bacteria cultures. Some people have had success saving portions of bacteria for later use, but the manufacturers generally don't recommend saving unused bacteria once the package has been opened. I typically use the whole package for my batches, but for those people making smaller amounts of wine in carboys etc. the following information may be useful.

Before opening the package, shake the bacteria to one side and then work the bacteria into two halves by feel. Heat seal the package down the middle between the two portions of bacteria, this can probably be done a second time which would at least split the package into four rough portions, each portion being good for about 16gal inoculation (total 66gal/package typical). Many people probably have a food saver or similar device that can be used to make heat sealing easy, no need for vacuum as we are not opening the package.

Before throwing out my empty package of CH16, I decided to test the idea of heat sealing; I don't have a food saver so I just used a crude tool made from a soldering iron and folded piece of aluminum, dragging the tool across the package over the period of 10sec worked fine, I did this about five times 1/16" apart to ensure a good seal. This was just me playing around, but obviously the real heat sealer would be recommended if available. Last photo, after sealing I cut open the package and pulled on the heated seams, and proved it was not going to come apart without destroying the package.

View attachment 58007

View attachment 58008

View attachment 58009

Just saw this, I normally wait until I have enough wine then inoculate the entire package and add the proportional amount to each carboy. But what a great idea, a little upset I didn't think of it first.

I have cut CH16 open, used part and then resealed inside a vacuum sealer bag, but this is even easier! The real trick is to get what you need and reseal before the unused contents thaw out.

Latest posts

Back