Split Amounts of Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
The receipe Im using for some peach wine calls for half the sugar at the begining and half after 5 days in the primary, I realise this is because of the violent ferment nature of the peaches which are firing away nicely but how do I do a reading to get the alcohol content when its based on the first and last reading? Surely it will be different in that it will change when I add the second half of the sugar?
The first reading was only 1040

Last edited:
you work out the finished abv by the entire sugar addition.
check your book Coll,, my book has the numbers..

in 4.5 litres of must.. if the sugar weight in grams is.1092 that's 12%.

I have a boring graph here on what weight of sugar equals how much alcohol.

just ask me.. Allie

That is the problem with the US and UK measuring system.
Can't you work in liters en kilo's that would simplify things enormously.:eek:

Another option would be to use:

http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/fermcalc_applet.html

Look at the sugar calculations and choose for Specify H2O/sugar calculations.
Take as initial volume the volume you are making and fill in the total amount of added sugar.
It will calculate the SG and from that you can derive potential alcohol.

Nevertheless I really think you should all switch to the metric system that makes things a lot easier.........

Luc

LUC, which weighs more? 1 kilo of feathers or 1 kilo of concrete?
:)

I dont really under stand the reason why more sugar up front would cause a problem unless the starting sg is very high and you are making a port.

I dont either Wade, but thought Id follow the receipe as it says. I had heard that peach ferments rather violently and my batch is certainly a mini volcano so far so I can only presume it is because of that.

Im not making a port, its just supposed to be a normal peach wine. Ill pop the receipe on later as I have to race out the door now.

Luc thanks for the information and link Ill certainly check into that today when I get to work!;)

I agree we should all have the same measurements, I have a conversion chart but its variations are insane, like 1 gallon is 4.546 litres etc, why cant it be simple?????

Was thinking about it last night and thought I dont wait until day 5, I should put it in now.....after 24 hours or so....well thinking about it anyway! I have a 2 gallon batch in a 7 gallon primary so it should be ok? Any objections??? Im going to do it after work so I have 8 hours if anyone thinks thats a stupid idea!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back