Spigot and shim for side wine barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baliski

Red Wine Fan!
Reaction score
We imported a wine barrel from a winery in British Columbia. I've been wanting to place a spigot in the side hole of this wine barrel. It took making a wood shim then placing the wooden spigot i imported from the UK into the opening. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Wine Barrel Corks bare stained.jpg
    Wine Barrel Corks bare stained.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Wine Barrel Large Spigot and Shim.jpg
    Wine Barrel Large Spigot and Shim.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • Wine Barrel Large Spigot Shim Closeup.jpg
    Wine Barrel Large Spigot Shim Closeup.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Wooden Wine Barrel Spigot Large and Shim.jpg
    Wooden Wine Barrel Spigot Large and Shim.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Purely decorative. When we imported the barrel, the winery sent a rubber white plug that didn't fit the aesthetics of the barrel. I sanded down all the iron as it had a thick film on it then stained the barrel a light oak golden color. Definitely not functional.....

Seems like a lot of work strictly for aesthetics. Also there’s a whole lot of options for barrel spigots out there without needing to import.
That said— it looks great. It really does. And making the piece to fit the spigot into the existing hole takes some patience. So kudos to you.
What’s your plans for the piece now? Adding a glass top and using as a table?

If your guests are winos you know at some point your gonna get some snobby know-it-all pointing out where the spigots are typically located.
And maybe that’s me?! Lol.

Last edited:
Yes and no, the top of the barrel is layered with wine corks. When the surface is completely covered, i'll either cut/install a glass or acrylic round top just to keep the dust off the corks. It won't be used as a table....the barrel sits in a space between levels of our home. Couldn't find the right fit for it due to it's girth :)

Latest posts

Back