RJ Spagnols Spiedel 7.9 Gal Fermenter??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered one off amazon last night. It does not have the upgraded spigot I will order is separate if I can.

I use it for racking after EM. If you tip it a bit you can get everything but the sludge at the bottom.
I also rack back into it for bottling, after bulk aging. The spigot is great for bottling.

That's great. Thanks for the info.
I was thinking that the spigot would be below the sludge line when the EM was complete.

Does anyone else think it's kinda strange that a fermenter of this quality doesn't have volume level markings? I knew it didn't when I ordered mine, and plan on using my stick-on thermometer strip as a 23-liter marker, so it's no big deal, but I still think it's odd.

Or, as another thought, has anyone already discovered something that's part of the structure of the fermenter that could be used as a 23-liter or 5-gallon marker?

I don’t own one but, if you can see the liquid threw the plastic why not add a gallon of water Mark it , add another gallon mark it, and so on and so on? problem solved

Does anyone else think it's kinda strange that a fermenter of this quality doesn't have volume level markings? I knew it didn't when I ordered mine, and plan on using my stick-on thermometer strip as a 23-liter marker, so it's no big deal, but I still think it's odd.

Or, as another thought, has anyone already discovered something that's part of the structure of the fermenter that could be used as a 23-liter or 5-gallon marker?

I wouldn't have trusted the markings had there been any, and double checked them anyways. There are 4 rings on them, two towards the top, two towards the bottom. On both of mine 23L is exactly at the bottom of the second ring from the top.

Yes, I use Spiedel products. They work very well. Even for medium term (6-9 months or so) storage with minimum O2 permeability issues. This size, for me, is mostly for what is left after filling the larger ones.

2013-10-22-11-51-22.jpg

I don’t own one but, if you can see the liquid threw the plastic why not add a gallon of water Mark it , add another gallon mark it, and so on and so on? problem solved

I understand why that's an obvious answer, and I saw that on a review of the fermenter on Amazon. The main reason why I don't want to do that is that I don't want to mark up my beautiful new fermenter with crude Sharpie scrawlings. YMMV, but I know mine would be crude and scrawly and I don't want to embarrass myself.

I have an alternative in mind if no one were to suggest one of the existing "landmarks" already on the barrel, which would be to place one of the stick-on thermometers right at the 23L line, which I might do anyway.

I wouldn't have trusted the markings had there been any, and double checked them anyways. There are 4 rings on them, two towards the top, two towards the bottom. On both of mine 23L is exactly at the bottom of the second ring from the top.

Thanks much, I was hoping that was the case.

Update: Thanks, works for me, too.

Just measured mine off and that’s where it definitely falls out. That makes it nice. I did neatly mark it every gallon though. Really has quite a bit of head space.

Just measured mine off and that’s where it definitely falls out. That makes it nice. I did neatly mark it every gallon though. Really has quite a bit of head space.

Yeah, I like the amount of head space. Prevents overflows and blowoffs.

Latest posts

Back