Specific Gravity - Temperature Correction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure your hydrometer is actually calibrated to 60*, some are actually 68*!

Since you mentioned it, I though I'd better check mine to be sure ...
... "Calibrated for accuracy at 60°F" ... yup, good to go ...

... always good to check these things out, Thanks Wade!

I know this is old, but I was wondering about this also
This is totally up to you. If you want an absolutely "correct" reading, then make the adjustment. Some folks consider this very important.

OTOH, if that doesn't matter to you, then don't worry about it.

I don't bother with correction. My hydrometers are calibrated for 60 F and my cellar ranges from 58 F in the winter to 70 F in the summer, so my correction factor ranges from 0.000 to 0.001.

I record the OG and FG to calculate ABV, and since the formulas for ABV are an approximation, I don't get fussed about 100% accuracy. During fermentation I use the SG as a barometer, to know roughly where the wine is in the process. If the OG was 1.090 and is now 1.060, I know the process is about 1/3 of the way through. If the SG is 1.058 or 1.062, it makes no practical difference.

At the end, the FG for most wines will be between 0.990 and 0.996, and it will not change, except if the temperature changes. If the SG is off by the correction factor, it doesn't matter to me.

Back