Specific gravity stuck @ 1.03

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow7x

Reaction score
I've just started a new batch of red wine ,
4 kg grapes , 2 kg sugar topped up with 3 litre water and used bread yeast for fermentation , I'm using a plastic bucket and covered it with cloth

It's been a week since fermentation started my starting potential alcohol was at around 16% . For the past two days my potential alcohol hasn't reduced its around 5% (SG 1.035 )

Currently I've cleared the must and stirred the contents hoping it will start fermenting again

How do I get out of this situation?

Use wine yeast instead of bread yeast. You can look up on a chart published by the wine yeast companies what the alcohol tolerance of the yeast is. If you're planning to make a sweet wine, you just need to add stabilizing agents and you won't have to backsweeten much. I would let it sit for a month or two and rack it to be sure the yeast population is reduced. Or if you want it totally dry, put some wine yeast in it that can tolerate 16% alcohol. Many of them can.

get a wine yeast specifically EC1118. hydrate per instructions and then pitch. activity should begin in about 48 hours. also add some yeast nutrient in the future use wine yeast and yeast nutrients it will prevent this happening again

Thx for the reply guys , I'm using a hydro meter that comes with a potential alcohol reading too

Actually I'm from India ec 1118 here costs around 25 -30$ Since it is imported ,I'll do some poking around to see if I get some cheap

So my yeast is the problem? Can i move it into another container and add more yeast ?

Actually I do prefer sweet wine but this one tastes too sweet..

Just read somewhere that wine yeast can only make around 12 to 14 % alcohol .. so if I add more water to my wine must it should reduce my current alcohol % and my wine would start fermenting again right ?

Just read somewhere that wine yeast can only make around 12 to 14 % alcohol .. so if I add more water to my wine must it should reduce my current alcohol % and my wine would start fermenting again right ?

Different yeast varieties have different tolerances for alcohol. EC-1118 is capable of producing up to 18% Alcohol - but that depends on the sugar available and other conditions. There are several other varieties capable of reaching up to 18% as well. Unfortunately as you seem live in an area where yeast for wine making is rather over priced.... You might look for a different variety or lower you SG by adding more fruit. Most fruits (Other than wine grapes) don't have enough sugar to produce even 10% alcohol so adding fruit would be better than adding just water - water alone will weaken the flavor of your wine.

The following is a list of wine yeast and includes their characteristics including their ABV capability. https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart

Different yeast varieties have different tolerances for alcohol. EC-1118 is capable of producing up to 18% Alcohol - but that depends on the sugar available and other conditions. There are several other varieties capable of reaching up to 18% as well. Unfortunately as you seem live in an area where yeast for wine making is rather over priced.... You might look for a different variety or lower you SG by adding more fruit. Most fruits (Other than wine grapes) don't have enough sugar to produce even 10% alcohol so adding fruit would be better than adding just water - water alone will weaken the flavor of your wine.

The following is a list of wine yeast and includes their characteristics including their ABV capability. https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart

Thank you I'll add more fruit then

Back