Quantcast

Specific Gravity Question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mjenkins

Junior
Reaction score
I prepared my must according to kit instructions, added my grape skins pack and stirred vigorously. I took the initial SG reading of 1.080. I took the reading twice to make sure I had it correct. I decided to use a different yeast than came with the kit because I like to play with things. I re-hydrated my yeast with Go-Ferm and about 135ml of warm (80 degrees) water for 30 minutes. I added the yeast. The next morning I saw fermentation activity (fizz) and took a hydrometer reading. The SG had increased to 1.090.

This is the first time I have used Go-Ferm. Is this normal or did I make a mistake somewhere? I've never noticed the SG going up before. It didn't seem like there were a lot of bubbles holding up the hydrometer. The yeast mixture was thicker than water. But will 135ml of Go-ferm and yeast raise the SG like that?

Kit: Wine Expert World Vineyard Australia GSM (minus the EC1118 yeast)
Yeast: 8g Syrah dry yeast
Go-Ferm: 10g

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I prepared my must according to kit instructions, added my grape skins pack and stirred vigorously. I took the initial SG reading of 1.080. I took the reading twice to make sure I had it correct. I decided to use a different yeast than came with the kit because I like to play with things. I re-hydrated my yeast with Go-Ferm and about 135ml of warm (80 degrees) water for 30 minutes. I added the yeast. The next morning I saw fermentation activity (fizz) and took a hydrometer reading. The SG had increased to 1.090.

This is the first time I have used Go-Ferm. Is this normal or did I make a mistake somewhere? I've never noticed the SG going up before. It didn't seem like there were a lot of bubbles holding up the hydrometer. The yeast mixture was thicker than water. But will 135ml of Go-ferm and yeast raise the SG like that?

Kit: Wine Expert World Vineyard Australia GSM (minus the EC1118 yeast)
Yeast: 8g Syrah dry yeast
Go-Ferm: 10g
It's the skins pack that does that, it takes a good day for the sugars to integrate into the mix, even when you stir like a champ. Typically, they add somewhere in the neighborhood of .015 to you SG. 1.090 is a pretty good place to start on a GSM, you should be just fine...........

mjenkins

Junior
Reaction score
It's the skins pack that does that, it takes a good day for the sugars to integrate into the mix, even when you stir like a champ. Typically, they add somewhere in the neighborhood of .015 to you SG. 1.090 is a pretty good place to start on a GSM, you should be just fine...........
Thanks for the answer. So I should adjust my initial SG to 1.090 to figure the total alcohol when finished, right?

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. So I should adjust my initial SG to 1.090 to figure the total alcohol when finished, right?
That is correct. If you get down to .990 you'll end up in the 13.5% range, .995 will get you around 13%......

G259

Reaction score
My SG's usually go up a bit, I figured that it was from undissolved sugar finally making it's way in. I don't take my initial SG until the day and a half wait, after I add pectic enzyme and campden.