specific gravity of residual sugars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franc1969

Reaction score
I have looked through a bunch of threads and didn't find info - what is the specific gravity of certain residual sugar amounts? I am trying to get wine finished for holidays and have a short time frame. Unexpected group visit on the 26th, it usually isn't until January. Uncle and aunt like a sweeter wine, their kids like dryer. Probably also different grapes, but I have what I have... Anyway, what I have found listed varies hugely as shown below, but none calls sugars at grams per liter equivalents to SG at 1.000, 1.005, 1.010, 1.030, etc. I am trying to add as low an amount as possible, and don't know where I am going if I measure by SG while I do this. I do not know acid levels yet. The wines are Gewurztraminer, Viognier, Pinot Noir, maybe a Tempranillo and Grenache blend. I fermented them all dry, and have previously ignored them. I will probably only amend the whites. What I know is that white wines they like are from 2.3% to 12% residual sugar- what that is in SG? I can do a taste test to what I know they have bought once I am close, but I will not 'prefer' anything but dry.

Dry (<10 g/l residual) (0-4 g/l residual) (0-17 g/l residual)
Off-dry (4-12 g/l residual) (17-35 g/l residual)
Semi-dry or semi-sweet (10-30 g/l residual sugar) (8-45 g/l residual)
Sweet (> 30 g/l) (>45 g/l residual) (4-12 g/l residual) (35-120 g/l residual)
Dessert sweet (50 - >120 g/l residual)

Unfortunately, there is no firm answer to your question. The final SG of your wine will vary depending on the ABV and other constituents in the wine. The actual residual sugar is based upon that, so measuring SG doesn't necessarily help.

If you could get an answer, it still won't help you as the "correct" amount of residual sugar varies by grape variety, ABV, acid, and other constituents.

Backsweetening the wines is a judgment call on your part. While balancing acid, etc. is a normal approach, if your aunt and uncle like sweet wine, it may be that you simply need to hit their desired sugar level. Everyone has their own likes, and if you make them happy, you have succeeded!

IMHO, the best you can do is to monitor the increase in the SG. For example, adding 10 g/L of RS should increase the SG by about 0.010 points. So, if you started with a wine that measured 0.995, and you added enough sugar to reach 1.005, that should be close to 10 g/L RS.

Latest posts

Back