Special wine Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy-T

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple questions.

I was looking for yeast cause I want to make some cherry wine. I saw some yeast on the local brewer's site and it has the 'killer' factor and it says that it can handle a high alcohol content, "up to20%". They don't list an EC-number, it's just called special wine yeast and it's recomended for dessert wines and champagne.

I would like to have my cherry wine finish out at 13.5% and I am wondering if the yeast will do anything weird. Yeast just dies when it runs out of sugar? So as long as i calculate and measure before I pitch it, the yeast just dies and setles to the bottom of the tank when the food is all used up, right? Is it going to make any funny flavors or anything?

I'm probibly going to try it first on some store bought OJ or apple juice, whatever is cheaper, but I have never tasted a fruit wine at all before except grape wine of course. I don't really know what to expect.

This "special" yeast is used for obtaining a high alc. wine and is not in my opinion generally used for what you're trying to achieve. A better choice would be 71B-1122 or RC212 or Montrachet. Once fermentation has stopped and the lees have settled, it should be racked to prohibit any off flavors in the yeast from influencing the wines taste.

Billy:

Can you point us to this site. The yeast you described could be a Turbo Yeast (as Sacalait and I believe) or it could be a poorly described EC-1118 or equivalent.

Btw welcome to our little world. You'll get better results if you can be very specific about things, and where possible provide a link to things on a web-site.

Steve

Billy:

Can you point us to this site. The yeast you described could be a Turbo Yeast (as Sacalait and I believe) or it could be a poorly described EC-1118 or equivalent.

Btw welcome to our little world. You'll get better results if you can be very specific about things, and where possible provide a link to things on a web-site.

Steve

It's not a turbo, it is bulk yeast. My local brewers site isn't in English. It is a 70gram jar and says in the instruction 1-2gram per 10L of wine. It is just yeast though not nutrients. Look about 1/2 way down the page.

SPECIALE wijngist 70 gram (1.00.31)
http://www.vanrein.nl/shop/index1.asp?r=84

I have replied now 3times to this thread, i don't know why it doesn't show up. I've looked up the adress and made a nice sounding long winded answer, but for some reason it never showed up.. either time. Frustrating, I will use a packed of bordeaux yeast I have instead.
Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back