SPARKLING WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fermSmall.jpg

You will want to keep consumtion of those babies to a smaller glass at a time. I see they have 35% ABV!
smiley36.gif

Are yours real dry or do they have some residual sugars from the carbonation?Edited by: appleman

I should take the S.G. reading before and after I add the sugar and yeast at bottling...then again at time of drinking...tho the bubbles might not let the hydrometer read correctly...suppose I could use the refractometer...if it goes that low.

Will try to do that next batch....will be awhile tho.

We think it is dry....but the bubbles confuse your senses.

I am anxious to try the ***Sparkling***Rhubarb/Pineapple...might start **Sparkling*** up more wines.

I have been looking over these sparkling wine post recently, collecting up some bottles to give it a try soon. Just have to decide what to spray all over myself first!
smiley36.gif

I hadn't noticed that box until your first Post...I knew you were kidding. But...I am interested to know what the 1 3/4 cups of sugar add to the alcohol content or if it's just the bubbles that make you feel so good.

I start the must at 1.080...they say not to have too high of alcohol in the must at the beginning. I have had people ask how they could sweeten a sparkling wine...I guess Splenda or one of those non fermentable sweeteners would work.

I had a girl fiend who use to drink Champagne Cocktails...they would just add sugar to sparkling wine and it would get sweet and fizzy.

I ordered a couple or three cans of Alexanders Premium Chablis to try on my first Sparkling attempt, Maybe get it started by the end of the week.

I will probably be starting secondary ferm on 1/2 of my Plum and 1/2 of my crabapple this weekend if my order from George comes in otherwise next week.

Have a question before I start, silly maybe, but , Did you folks that do this use the same yeast for ferment as you did for carbonation? Is it necessary, or does it make a difference if different yeast are used?

I used EC-1118 for both primary and secondary....don't know if it makes a difference or not....Good question....

As long as you use a high abv yeast it is fine. I use the Red Star Champagne yeast.

This entire thread reminds me...

<laughing> So I have a very good friend who has traveled the world including France. She competed professionaly for one of the cycling teams.

One of the "skills" she picked up was how to open a bottle of champagne using a sword! Ya know..its one of those things theFrench do to celebrate.

I know that in a couple of years I know I'm going to have to try my hand at both making the bubbling and seeing if I can open it using a sword.

That's going to be one fun party or a great trip to the emergency room!

smiley4.gif

ROFL! I promise...if I do this...there will be pictures....both if its successful, not successful or pics of me in the emergency room!

smiley36.gif

I just looked at both of those links! Very groovy info there Northern..and me being a "foodie" makes it that much more enjoyable!

Thanks!

Pitched the yeast on the 27th for my try at this, I'll set one aside for you Bovine do your swording on!
smiley36.gif
Went with the EC-1118, so if it turns into a mess I'll know it was all me, not the yeast!

Perfect JW....and I'll send you pics of me in the emergency room!

Sounds like a match to me!

smiley18.gif

20071101_113057_sparkle_Medium.jpg

Racked mine to glass today,Have a question...Are any clarifier's used prior to bottling/carbonating, or do all the lees and sediment come out during degorging?

Being brilliantly clear isn't an issue. It will get cloudy as soon as you add the yeast and sugar mixtures.
Used super-Kleer on a batch once and it took forever to carbonate...don't know if it was the S-K or not....but it was the only thing I did different. I will not use it again.

I think Wade or someone used a clarifier on a batch they made....not sure how it was done tho.

I had to buy a case of bottles to make enough (couldn't pillage and plunder enough) noticed they can actually take crown caps...has anyone tried them for degorging? Don't know if they would be easier or not. Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

Latest posts

Back