Sparkling wine that doesn't

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalRed

Junior
Reaction score
I made a sparkling chardonnay for our son's wedding but when we popped the cork on a test bottle there were no bubbles. Can I dump it all back in a carboy rebottle with more sugar and yeast? Just settle for still? Help! The event is October 19

Wish I could help you. I have never tired a sparkling wine. There will be someone along in not time though that know more then me that will be able to help you out. I will say the first thing they are going to ask you is.
What were you making exactly?
What was the recipe you used?
and this is just me but, "What does it taste like now?"

One question: is the cause a failed fermentation or did any existing gas escape?

A little more info on the process you used would also be helpful.

I have often wondered if those new home soda dispensers you see everywhere these days would do the trick. Pour your wine into the supplied bottle, carbonate with CO2 then pour back to wine bottle quickly and cork.

I have often wondered if those new home soda dispensers you see everywhere these days would do the trick. Pour your wine into the supplied bottle, carbonate with CO2 then pour back to wine bottle quickly and cork.

Wow, again iv never made it but that sounds ingenious to me!! .

Can I dump it all back in a carboy rebottle with more sugar and yeast? Just settle for still? Help! The event is October 19

Hope if you do this that you are using champagne bottles. Regular wine bottles and corks are not heavy enough to contain all that pressure. Could be very dangerous

Wish I could help you. I have never tired a sparkling wine. There will be someone along in not time though that know more then me that will be able to help you out. I will say the first thing they are going to ask you is.
What were you making exactly?
What was the recipe you used?
and this is just me but, "What does it taste like now?"

I was using a kit.
I stabilized.
It tastes good, just no bubbles

One question: is the cause a failed fermentation or did any existing gas escape?

A little more info on the process you used would also be helpful.

It did continue to ferment as there is sediment evident and it is drier than when bottled. I have done this with much success before and have no idea what is different.

I like this idea. I think it might be a fine experiemnt

Hope if you do this that you are using champagne bottles. Regular wine bottles and corks are not heavy enough to contain all that pressure. Could be very dangerous

But of course! I have been diligently drinking and saving champagne bottles since the engagement.

RoyalRed, You said that you stabilized the wine. That suggests that you added sorbate. If you add sorbate and then add sugar to carbonate the wine all you are doing is sweetening the wine. The yeast in the wine needs to be active if you want to carbonate it. What exactly did you do to "stabilize" the wine?

It did continue to ferment as there is sediment evident and it is drier than when bottled. I have done this with much success before and have no idea what is different.

By stabalizing, do you mean that you added sorbate? If so, then that could explain things.

Latest posts

Back