Sparkling Rose Bottle Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebusify

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm going to be attempting some sparkling rose in a few weeks and wanted to know what type of bottles/caps I should be using.

Also, any tips for carbonating wine?

Thank you

there are at least three ways to carbonate the wine
1. the original champagne method requiring use of champagne bottles with crown caps initially and then plastic caps with wire closure I would google this method
2. what I call the lazy way is don't add k-meta or sorbate to the wine once clear add 3/4 cup sugar for 5 gallons place in beer bottle or champagne bottles crown cap both or plastic caps and wire on the champagne bottles. this method carbonate in bottle much like beer does it leaves some lees in bottle but just be carful in pouring
3. force carbonate with CO2 I would Google this method also

I have found the easiest method is number two above

I'm looking for bottles that allow for crown caps but can't find any. Any advice?

beer bottles also champagne bottle. cannot use regular wine bottle as they cannot hold pressure from sparkling wine. be careful domestic champagne bottles versus European bottle have different opening size.

Can't seem to find clear champagne bottles on Amazon that have that lip. Any recommendations?

Saw those but I need clear. Don't want to put a sparking rose in a green bottle.

there are at least three ways to carbonate the wine
1. the original champagne method requiring use of champagne bottles with crown caps initially and then plastic caps with wire closure I would google this method
2. what I call the lazy way is don't add k-meta or sorbate to the wine once clear add 3/4 cup sugar for 5 gallons place in beer bottle or champagne bottles crown cap both or plastic caps and wire on the champagne bottles. this method carbonate in bottle much like beer does it leaves some lees in bottle but just be carful in pouring
3. force carbonate with CO2 I would Google this method also

I have found the easiest method is number two above
Is that 3/4 cup sugar total for 5 gallons, or 3/4 cup sugar per gallon?................................................Dizzy

I spoke too soon. The clear ones I found were only like 100ml so I need 750ml. I know they exist because I've seen them. The issue I have is that while green might work just fine my sparkling rose is pink and putting pink wine in a green bottle

I spoke too soon. The clear ones I found were only like 100ml so I need 750ml. I know they exist because I've seen them. The issue I have is that while green might work just fine my sparkling rose is pink and putting pink wine in a green bottle

I did see 375's at Northern Brewer and elsewhere, if that is of interest. I would prefer 750, too, if it were me.

3/4/cup for 5 gallons I looked up some notes made by a friend of mine. the 3/4 cup of sugar for 5 gallons give 1.9 volume of CO2 which is the usual dose for carbonating beer. beer bottles can hold 3 volumes with out exploding champagne bottles 7 volumes. each atmosphere requires 3 grams of sugar per 750ml bottle that is equal to 15 grams sugar per gallon. to be safe home winemaker should limit to no more than 4 atmospheres which is equal to 60 grams per gallon
the best method is to boil the sugar in about 3/4 cup of water for about 10 minutes add it to sanitized gallon vessel add the wine stir for two minutes to insure mixed well add to champagne bottles and then cap. store the bottle on side for two months the set them upright to allow yeast lees to settle chill bottle before opening pour carefully so as not to disturb yeast lees.

Latest posts

Back