WineXpert Spanish Tempranillo w/grapeskins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a grapeskin kit in 10 years of kit winemaking. I'm quite sure I followed the directions carefully, making the kit to 23 litres, then adding the grapeskins. When I racked into the carboy today, not all of the wine would fit with about a cup of wine leftover. Is this typical of this style of kit, or was I a little overzealous emptying the primary?

Your carboy runneth over

:slp Losing a couple lines, no big deal in the overall scheme of things what you get ready to wreck out grape skins and I haven't even greater volume makeup ,racket down a 5 gallon carboy this will give you some left for topping over............:mny

:slp Losing a couple lines, no big deal in the overall scheme of things what you get ready to wreck out grape skins and I haven't even greater volume makeup ,racket down a 5 gallon carboy this will give you some left for topping over............:mny
wineh:

I'm not sure what joeswine just said. Let me know if you figure it out.

The normal problem is not enough wine for the carboy, so you're in good shape. Can you keep the extra (to use to top-up later on) in a bottle preferably under air-lock. Said, knowing you probably don't have a small bung).

Steve

wineh:

I'm not sure what joeswine just said. Let me know if you figure it out.

The normal problem is not enough wine for the carboy, so you're in good shape. Can you keep the extra (to use to top-up later on) in a bottle preferably under air-lock. Said, knowing you probably don't have a small bung).

Steve

If you have an universal bung,
universal-bung.jpg
you can flip it over and it fits over the top of a regular wine bottle.

I have this kit bulk aging, if I remember correctly, it filled the secondary carboy quite a bit more than any regular kit ever did. I only needed about 3/4 of a bottle to top off after clearing and stabilizing. If you can, save the residual wine...it couldn't hurt.

I couldn't figure out what joeswine was saying either...but I just popped open a bottle, so maybe in a couple hours...:dg

Peace,
Bob

Co2

So I stabilized this wine a couple of weeks ago, stirring the heck out of it because it seamed to have a lot of CO2. I even used the novelty wine bottle vacuum pump to ensure I got it all. It has cleared nicely, but I noticed the airlock was up as if it was still expelling gas. When I used the vacuum bulb again, it expelled quite a bit more gas, most of which appeared to be coming from the oak cubes, which are still floating. I am not accustomed to this happening, so is it something associated with the grapeskin pack or the oak cubes? I am going to leave it a few more days.

The grapeskin kits seem to be more gassy than the regular kits. The Co2 isn't coming from the oak cubes, the oak cubes provide a good surface for the bubbles to form. You can see the same effect if you suspend a bottle brush in the middle of the carboy, and put a vacuum on it...the bubbles will form all along the bristles.

Peace,
Bob

Latest posts

Back