WineXpert Spanish Rioja

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasta

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

Former beer brewer turned vinter last year. Any comments on the Selection International Spanish Rioja. I have been sampling a few Spanish wines as of late and have found them quite nice.

Primary - Empty
Secondary SI Pinot Grigio

Bulk Aging
SI French Chardonnay - 4 mos
SI French Cabernet - at 6 mos very good
SI Italian Montepulciano - at 8 mos tasting great

Bottled 2009

SI Pinot Noir
SI Pinot Grigio

Hello all,

Former beer brewer turned vinter last year. Any comments on the Selection International Spanish Rioja.

That's the first kit I ever made, actually my local shop made it for me. Very nice. I would describe it as a little bit fruitier than most reds, medium body, medium dry, long finish. It's a very good standalone drinker in my opinion.

Rioja is a region, not a grape. I understand Rioja wines are always mainly Tempranillo grape with maybe 20% Grenach but it can be other blends.

My kit need about 6 months to become really good, so after you sample a bottle or two try to store the rest a way for while.

Thanks for feedback.... Sounds like that may be my next batch.

Basic Wine and Food Pairing

If you aske me wine is more than just a drink.
And if you want to enjoy drinking it you should know Basic Wine and Food Pairing

If you aske me wine is more than just a drink.
And if you want to enjoy drinking it you should know Basic Wine and Food Pairing

Colin, So all this time I've been drinking wine I have not been enjoying it because I don't drink while I am eating? Bummer! I enjoy my food paired with milk and my Wine paired with my wife.
SJO

"An Italian study argues that women who drink two glasses of wine a day have better sex than those who don’t drink at all."

The event Catalan Wine and Cava Show 2010 was a lot of fun!

I really enjoy the Spanish wines, especially the blends, like this rioja. You should like this kit.

Speaking of drinking wine with/without food (or anything else), for standalone, I tend to drink a different wine than I drink with food. As an example, I like a softer Pinot Noir or even a slightly sweet white for standalone, but I prefer a heavier wine with my meals. (Yes I know, a Pinot goes very well with anything with Italian (tomato sauce).)

You all probably already know this but - I saw a simple little experiment the other day on TV - when you sit down with a glass of wine and food, before you taste the main dish, take a sip of you wine; remember how it tastes. Next, take a nice bite of the main dish. Finally, take another sip of your wine. If the wine is a good pairing with that main dish, the wine will really come alive with that second sip.

When I do this, sometimes it really amazes me how much better that second sip is. It is almost as though someone switched my wine.

Problem is, later on I can never remember what goes well with what. :?

I knew it about taking a sip with and without food but hornestly I never saved time for it to do it. You know in our days - we live on a rush and cause of it eat and drink on a rsh with no joy.
So let all of us "switched my wine"
Thank you!

Rioja is just one of many Spanish wines and it is named after the river, Rio Oja which runs through the Oja Valley in the province of La Rioja in northern Spain.

Back