SP wont start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelo80

Junior
Reaction score
Hydrated yeast, pitched it on Feb 21st temp 60, spg 1.075. As if today no fermentation, should I do a starter? I used EC-118

Yea, you want to make the environment so appealing to the wine, they think they are in Disneyland. The right temperature, pH, nutrient and then get a large starter going at a similar temperature and add it to your batch. 1118 is a monster, so once it gets going, it will run through it pretty fast.

I agree, 60 is a bit low. I like to be at about 70, at least until I'm certain fermentation has begun. After that, lower temps slow things down if that's what I want to do, but at least I know I had viable yeast in my batch to get things going.

My mistake on the temp must have typed wrong it was 69, I've never had 118 not start at that temp, I pitched another packet of yeast tonight.

I've never had 1118 fail either, but it happens I guess. It might be worth your time to learn to make starters to get your brews off to a faster start, if you dont use them already that is.

Good news, after pitching a new packet of EC 118 its rolling now, temp is 70 and spg down to 1.067, I must have had an old packet of yeast.

I’m not trying to hijack this thread but I made my first batch of sp. My sg was 1.060 temp is 68 but it has been 62 hours since first started and 14 hours since I pitched the yeast which was ec-1118. And it has not started fermenting yet should I be worried or am I jumping the gun here?

I wouldnt be worried, its only been 14 hours, I've had EC 118 take up to a couple days to start.

I imagine it has already started. Just because the isn't any air lock activity doesn't mean it hasn't started fermenting. It may take a while for the air to be displaced by CO2 depending on how much headspace you have.

Nope still has not started I have been stirring it and still nothing no number changes everything the same. The head space is 4” to the lid.

When or would you make another starter?
How long has it been since you pitched the EC 1118?
If the is no change in the SG after 72 hours I would begin a yeast starter. I always have success with Jack Keller's procedure. After the first 3 additions, I start adding the must from the SP 1/4 cup at a time. After 24 hours it'll be ready to pitch. It never lets me down.
Good luck.

It has been roughly 52 hours since pitched. I give another day or two then go from there.Thank you for the help.

It has been roughly 52 hours since pitched. I give another day or two then go from there.Thank you for the help.
Welcome.
BTW, I started a batch of Dragon's Blood tonight. I pitched the test starter at 8:40 PM. It's now 11:20 PM and I have airlock activity already.

Lucky you I’m not that lucky. Checked again this morning same thing. Do you think my sg being at 1.060 is to low to start? Maybe need to add more sugar? And if nothing works for this batch what is Jack Keller’s exact procedure?

Lucky you I’m not that lucky. Checked again this morning same thing. Do you think my sg being at 1.060 is to low to start? Maybe need to add more sugar? And if nothing works for this batch what is Jack Keller’s exact procedure?

Your SG is definitely not too low. I suppose you could add more sugar at this point. I don't see how it could hurt.

The procedure is to start with a sanitized quart sized container and add a 1/2 cup of white grape juice or apple juice without preservatives, a sachet of yeast, 1/2 tsp of sugar and a pinch of yeast nutrient. Mix to dissolve the sugar and cover with a paper towel or napkin. Wait 2 hours and check to see if your yeast is viable. If it is add 1/4 cup of juice, 1/4 tsp sugar and a pinch of yeast nutrient. Stir to dissolve the sugar and cover the container. Repeat this step every 2 hours until it has been 24 hours. At the 8 hour mark replace the juice addition with your SP must.

It has never failed me. In fact, when I checked my DB this morning, 9 hours after I pitched my starter, I had signs of vigorous fermentation. See my pics.

Never mind. My pics are too large and I don't have time to resize. I'll add them later.

Latest posts

Back