Southern Crush Day!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked the Lanza Cab 169 out of the 40 L Vadai yesterday... and one partially full carboy.

Had two gallons of Chilean Malbec left over.... added most of the two gallons to top up the carboy

I really like the taste of this blend, both '16 vintages but one Spring and one Fall, and from two different continents, have to come up with an appropriate name for it some time in the future..

When I have made blends like this (from commercial wines, in my case), I have called mine my "Pan-American Meritage Blend."

... but be careful! You do not know where the meritage police are!

(made the mistake of calling one of my blends a meritage, and caught all kinds of heck for it).

... but be careful! You do not know where the meritage police are!

(made the mistake of calling one of my blends a meritage, and caught all kinds of heck for it).
The meritage police can suck eggs. We home winemakers can call a blend of chardonnay and Chambourcin a meritage, if we so choose. None of those commercial rules apply to what we do. Now it certainly might confuse folks, but that's a different story.

I agree with you, but I made the mistake of telling a professional (who registered and apparently paid the fee) that I make a meritage. He then proceeded to rip me a new one.

Put an end to this chapter of winemaking today, wines were sulfited when they were racked out of the barrels, so they moved into their permanent digs. With the Koch Cab, Merlot, and Petite Sirah already bottled, the Clone 169 was the last of the 16 wines from Lanza, one batch straight Cab, one blended with 40% Chilean Malbec. I continue to be pleased with these wines, which continue to improve, and feel that I’ve gotten very good value for the money invested.3043E52D-3359-44EF-A7D8-F40609C3F3CC.jpeg

After bottling three kits that had been hanging around waiting for a while, I ran what I hoped would be my last chromo from the fall grapes. Needed to check the PS and Merlot, which were a little slower than the cabs, as well as some small jugs that didn't get tested last time around. I also tossed the Bravado in there, since it was fermented on skins that were in an MLF environment.

PS is done, that's good. The Merlot is still showing malic because, well, it's Merlot, won't sulfite this one with the others. The Bravado has malic also, so I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens there....

View attachment 32836

So, did the Bravado ever undergo MLF? I would like to reuse skins from MLF batch in kits but have been hesitant to do so. Would be interested to know how it turned out.

So, did the Bravado ever undergo MLF? I would like to reuse skins from MLF batch in kits but have been hesitant to do so. Would be interested to know how it turned out.

No, it never did, at least not that I could determine from chromotography testing. The skins it was fermented with certainly had active MLB in them, but the Bravado wine always showed the presence of malic acid even after the other wines were finished. It was bottled that way and was just fine.

If you do decide to reuse skins, be certain not to put potassium sorbate in that kit. It should ferment dry and not be needed and I never add it, anyway. But just a warning.

If you do decide to reuse skins, be certain not to put potassium sorbate in that kit. It should ferment dry and not be needed and I never add it, anyway. But just a warning.

Thanks for the heads up. I have never used sorbate and likely never will since I strongly prefer dry wines.

Right now I’m trying to determine the best way to reuse the skins. Have had good success adding them to a juice bucket but was wondering if adding them to a premium kit would be even better.

Latest posts

Back