Sour Cherries With Pits - Is my Wine Safe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cram8

Junior
Reaction score
I’m a new at making wine, trying it for the first time. I have a freezer full of sour cherries (Evans) so I’m making some wine. I have a 1 gal trial primary fermentation in bucket, covered with cloth, 4 days since yeast pitched. Small batch in case I make a mistake. I did not remove the seeds thinking it would not matter…I had not read anything to suggest that was necessary. Seeds are whole, intact, not chopped, 5 lbs. Is there any issue with cyanid leaching from the seeds? Will it be unsafe to consume? Is there good reason to remove the seeds when I do my next batch which will be much larger? Will it affect taste and be too bitter? Thank you in advance for all advice.

You should be ok as long as the pits are intact. The wine will probably start out bitter, but with time it mellows out. Think you should end up with a fine tasting wine. I have made many batches of pie cherries. They all have been good, the ones without the pits taste good long before the ones with mellow out. Probably looking at a year or more before the bitterness goes away. Arne.

I have done cherry wine with intact seed in the primary for a decade, I also have enough fruit that I skip the water and just ferment cherry juice. At the dilution rate of two kilos per gallon with intact fruit cyanide will not be an issue. As a fresh wine it is a favorite and can get blue ribbons.
Taste? Age? ,, my cherry and blends with less acidic fruit develop off notes/ lose cherry aroma after being in the bottle for eighteen months. l have not isolated the issue and the next time I run a batch will run the fruit through a hand litter, , just to see what the difference is. ,,, You have the fruit waiting, it would be interesting to pit a few kilos and run a comparison test, , , and then report back on the difference.
. Small batch in case I make a mistake. I did not remove the seeds thinking it would not matter…I had not read anything to suggest that was necessary. Seeds are whole, intact, not chopped, 5 lbs. Is there any issue with cyanid leaching from the seeds? Will it be unsafe to consume? Is there good reason to remove the seeds when I do my next batch which will be much larger? Will it affect taste and be too bitter?

Is there any issue with cyanid leaching from the seeds?

Organic cyanide - probably good for you. Think of all the healthy real breads made with seeds.

There's some old wives tales of cyanide from Apple seeds catching up with West Country heavy Rough Scrumpy drinkers after about 40 years, but that's an awful lot of drinking if true.

Last edited:
Organic cyanide - probably good for you. Think of all the healthy real breads made with seeds.

There's some old wives tales of cyanide from Apple seeds catching up with West Country heavy Rough Scrumpy drinkers after about 40 years, butbut wine , that's an awful lot of drinking if true.
same goes for elderberry twine, elderberry syrup, ect, once processed it tends to be safe, best rule of thumb, if birds and deer eat it , so can you, ,
on amazon look up the book, THE LOST WAYS
Dawg

to be cyanide it is a CN molecule. It will not matter if the source was a plant or factory

the significant issue is dosage. Your liver will detoxify some but not a large dose. In a similar thought your liver will detoxify alcohol but a large dose at a fraternity hazing it can kill you, ,,, or with a low chronic dose “just enough to get a buz” you can get to age 55 and wind up with cirrhosis of the liver.

Organic cyanide - probably good for you..

to be cyanide it is a CN molecule. It will not matter if the source was a plant or factory

the significant issue is dosage. Your liver will detoxify some but not a large dose. In a similar thought your liver will detoxify alcohol but a large dose at a fraternity hazing it can kill you, ,,, or with a low chronic dose “just enough to get a buz” you can get to age 55 and wind up with cirrhosis of the liver.
I've been to about 7 funerals last year alone on count of the liver, times like this i'm happy i quit drinking, my definition of drinking, was a minimal of 1/2 gallon a day and 1 ounce of top of the line ERB, week in week out, then when i turned thirty, i'd remember asking what is that old man doing here, so i just quite it all, then the doctors 5 of em told me to drink 1 to 2 glasses of red wine a day, after much research, i found many medicinal wines, lemon, elderberry, tart cherry, blackberry, and so on, for your HEART RUMITIS, BLOOD, ECT,,
Dawg

get yourself an old fashioned cherry pitter on eBay or Facebook Marketplace for around $35. does the job real quick and fun to boot. Good luck

Seven funerals in a year mainly due to liver problems? Man, this is serious. People subconsciously drink alcohol without the knowledge of its risk. And some even know the risk but still ignore it and drink excessively. I believe The worst damage alcohol can bring on to your liver is cirrhosis of the liver. Those that still don't know much about it should research it. I'm really happy for you and others that quit drinking. However, quitting is extremely difficult, especially if you're an abuser of alcohol. An article from Medscape in 2018 says, "The mortality rate from severe alcohol withdrawal and delirium tremens (DT) historically has been as high as 20% if untreated." That's how bad it is.

Seven funerals in a year mainly due to liver problems? Man, this is serious. People subconsciously drink alcohol without the knowledge of its risk. And some even know the risk but still ignore it and drink excessively. I believe The worst damage alcohol can bring on to your liver is cirrhosis of the liver. Those that still don't know much about it should research it. I'm really happy for you and others that quit drinking. However, quitting is extremely difficult, especially if you're an abuser of alcohol. An article from Medscape in 2018 says, "The mortality rate from severe alcohol withdrawal and delirium tremens (DT) historically has been as high as 20% if untreated." That's how bad it is.
Yo guy, it's actually worse than that. 20% should be the least occurrence percentage. It's so crazy because I know so many people who wanna quit, but it's just not that simple for them

https://www.amazon.ca/30-Day-Sobriety-Solution-Drinking-Privacy/dp/147679295X

Latest posts

Back