Sorbate & K-meta combined

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this quote in another thread.
This is my first Cellar Craft kit in over 10 years, and also first CC with grapeskins. I have to get a bit creative, as Cellar Craft has chosen to combine the sulfite and sorbate in one package.
I just started 2 Eclipse kits (Stags Leap Merlot & Sonoma Pinot Noir). They also came with a combined Sorbate and Sulphite package. Are the manufacturers trying to make things simpler or is there some concern with all of the experienced home winemakers omitting the sorbate when making a fully dry wine?

I don't see the benefit in combining the 2 ingredients as it limits your ability to exert more control over the end product. BTW . . . if anyone needs sorbate I probably have 10-15 unopened packets (ha).

Anyone seeing this trend among other kit makers?

Attachments

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
I just started 2 Eclipse kits (Stags Leap Merlot & Sonoma Pinot Noir). . .combined Sorbate and Sulphite . .
I don't see the benefit in combining the 2 ingredients . . .
it reduces cost of product, , maybe by 25 cents

ras2018

Reaction score
I think this is specific to Winexpert only at the moment. I just did an RJS and they were separate

ras2018

Reaction score
Can you describe the package or, better yet, take a picture and post it?
It’s about double the size of the normal white packets you get and says “sulfite / sorbate” on it. The one in the Barbaresco kit was 9g I believe.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
It’s about double the size of the normal white packets you get and says “sulfite / sorbate” on it. The one in the Barbaresco kit was 9g I believe.
That’s good to know. I have noticed a change in the packets that simply say “sulfite” now. I guess that’s Kmeta still.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Kmeta is an anti-oxidant and anti-microbial, though it should be understood that it doesn't kill everything. Potassium sorbate is used to prevent yeast from reproducing, it too doesn't actually kill anything, viable yeast will continue to ferment. My opinion is that kit manufacturers include sorbate to reduce the liability associated with exploding bottles.

JustJoe

Reaction score
Kmeta is an anti-oxidant and anti-microbial, though it should be understood that it doesn't kill everything. Potassium sorbate is used to prevent yeast from reproducing, it too doesn't actually kill anything, viable yeast will continue to ferment. My opinion is that kit manufacturers include sorbate to reduce the liability associated with exploding bottles.
Thanks!