Sorbate instead of bicarbonate :-(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
While multitasking on a Sunday I didn’t think through what I was doing. When I thought I need to a potassium bicarbonate to lower TA I added 13 g of potassium sorbate then added WLB 675 to a merlot.
I added 13 g of potassium sorbate to a Montepulciano and now I realize I shouldn’t add MLB.

I am just waiting for that geranium smell in the merlot… I think MP is going to be the way it is….

Any recovering from this??

So I checked the Montepulciano tonight and it’s producing the tiny bubbles that looks like MLF just like the other wines. No yet.
The last time I measured FSO2 after fermentation complete it was 45 ppm.
I wonder if everything is ok…

So I checked the Montepulciano tonight and it’s producing the tiny bubbles that looks like MLF just like the other wines. No yet.
The last time I measured FSO2 after fermentation complete it was 45 ppm.
I wonder if everything is ok…

Taste? geranium taste is kinda bad.

I have a food plant mentality and would try to kill any growth, example heat to 140F for half an hour in a stainless stock pot and then quench by floating milk jugs of ice.
The bad news is that if you have sorbate in the system it will break down given time. Sorbate is not a stable molecule. Another flavor is bubble gum (ie ethyl sorbate)

Latest posts

Back