Sorbate in Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert81650

Reaction score
I have made about 20 kits so far and have noticed that the amount of sorbate included in the kits seems to me to be a much smaller amount as compared to what is recommended. Usually one-half teaspoonful per gallon of wine to be back sweetened either by simple syrup or f-pak. Has anyone else thought about this, or am I adding too much when I use half tsp. per gallon? I don't do dry wines at all, usually sweetened fruit based wines. Thanks for any feed back concerning the amount of sorbate to use that will still prevent the wine from starting to ferment again.

General guidelines are to add 0.5 grams per gallon with a sulfite level of 50 ppm. I think that is significantly less than half a teaspoon. I have noticed on packages of sorbate sold to home winemakers it often lists 1 g per gallon.

Edit: I just looked it up and 1 tsp is about 2.3 g of potassium sorbate. So, the half tsp would be about 1.1 grams. Not necessarily too high but you probably only need half that.

On another note, if you are making your wine dry without back sweetening at all, you really don't need to add sorbate. Sulfite will be enough.

Latest posts

Back