Sorbate added before ferment!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Gee

Reaction score
I added a 25 oz(750ml.)of almond flavored syrup to 5 gal.of plum in the primary before I realized it contained sorbate.Can someone right this wrong?SG is 1.080 and temp.@ 78F.I'm do not know how much sorbate was in the bottle.I pitched a yeast starter(Lalvin 71B-1122) twice, with very little activity.

Normally I wouldn't think it would be that big a factor but since you've already had two yeast starters....

...what was the recipe and how long from the time you added the first starter until the second...

.. give us timeframes.

This afternoon,I added 4 cups of water simmered down with 2 pounds of sugar,stirred very well and 6 hours later it seems to be taking off.I get a bubble about every 4 or 5 seconds.This has been a 5 day span,while pitching twice.This is about my 8th 5 gal. batch overall,and all others started within 2-3 hours.I've got a peach going that started right away and hasn't let up in 4 days.Maybe,I'll be alright.I'll give an update later.Thanks.

Want dont ypu post the recipe Gee, sounds like it Wants to go.

Have you used tis syrup before? I am assuming you are talking about espresso tpe syrups. There has been some other disussions and it is agreed there could very well be enough sorbate or another type of preservative to inhibit you ferment.

If you really want to add flavor use the pure extracts. But lets see what you got going here.

But give us more info on exactly hat you did, lets see if we can get this going.

I had one batch of cranberry, pitched the yeast three times over the course of about two weeks, but the gang in here helped me gt it going.

All is not lost friend!

The problem is that sorbate prevents the yeasts from breeding. You may very well have to introduce a large healthy starter and hope that they live long enough to eat all the sugar.

No,I have not used this before.I made a hasty decision that I now regret....but the last couple days,the SG has been dropping,so I will keep working with it and ride it out.

12 days into it...SG. is at 1.020,and still dropping.I will be glad to rack this to a carboy

It just goes to show you that just keeping at can work no matter what anyone says and I would have said probably that its a lost cause but try anyway if it means anything to you as in money or time already spent! You just never know what Mother nature will do!

Latest posts

Back