Sometimes wine just does not turn out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
Sometimes wine just does not turn out. try to figure out what you did wrong, research the thread and ask. Not every mistake is fixable and every wine maker who has been at it for a while has dumped batches out.. Some simple rules I use
1 Always start clean
2 makes sure you have all you need before you start
3 Most stuck fermentation are lack of warmth, lack of nutrients, high PH. Make sure you start with with nice warm spot and dont forget to add yeast nutrients( I dont with fresh grapes)
4 Time takes time Patience, Patience, Patience
5 never add sugar ,per a recipe, without using a hydrometer. NEVER
6 Don't let the dog drink your wine out of fermenter
7 Wade knows his stuff, if his advise is in thread, believe him
8 Don't drink first batch before starting second
9 Don't spend you October rent money on fresh grapes

Others can add more. This stuff really is not that hard, don't know why we all mess it up again a again

To that I would add:
10 Don't panic. If you think you screwed a batch of wine up let it sit a few months and come back to it. You might be surprised.

I would add the following...

It always starts with the fruit. You can not make a good wine out of bad fruit (cough, cough, welches, cough, cough). :h

I'm going to the corner now. just let me know when I can come out.

Don't know if HE used a grape pack but I hear it was an early drinker.

Here's one that maybe should be #1: There are two basic types of wine folks. Figure out if you are going to be a wine snob or not right away to avoid confusion.

Regarding Jesus, I always wondered if He backsweetened or left it dry. I am speculating that, it being His hand that made it, no further amendments were needed for perfection. The entire subject of wine in the Bible reminds me of a Sunday school teacher I once had. Being a curious kid, I asked her why wine was supposed to be bad for you when Jesus made it and talked about it in the Bible. She told the class that wine back then wasn't really like wine now, it was like grape juice!

LOLOL -- cmon! Everybody was smashed back then! They drank wine like water ALL DAY because the water was so BAD!
:)

I love childhood memories, don't you?

Latest posts

Back