Sometimes bad is actually good.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
Well, I was downstairs going through my over 3 year old stuff seeing what needed replaced (so happy I’m getting back into this wonderful hobby). Of course all my tubing was junk just sitting in a box, mesh bag got tossed, then I came to my double lever hand corker......main shaft rusted solid......you all know what this means! I know have the perfect excuse to get that Portuguese floor corker FINALLY!
Now to find a good deal on it.

You won't regret it. I was using a double lever corker for years. It was considered quite the skill to be able to land a cork at the right depth. The floor corker I have now makes me wonder why I ever waited to get one.

For the longest time my friends and I thought it looked like a device from medieval times used to extract confessions from heretics. So we just referred to it as the "torture device." Run enough corks through one, and it feels like it.

Yeah, I wanted one after the first batch I corked with the double lever, but I felt like I would be wasting my money. Best I’ve found so far was for $71 on Amazon.

Nope! I’ve read enough about them, ordering it tomorrow from Amazon. Should be here early next week which is perfect timing!

Dang, both of those are good deals. I got the red one off Amazon and added a refractometer. Shipped was under $100! And Friday my vacuum pump should be here so besides a few more car boys, I should be set for a small bit! Thank you everyone for the help!

The portuguese ones might not work if you are trying to use the Bellisima style bottles.

92463165-AAD6-4F29-90DD-71935552A5EC.jpeg 92463165-AAD6-4F29-90DD-71935552A5EC.jpeg B25076C7-C46D-49D4-ADF1-EFE3CEC30F85.jpeg C8B67C0C-526B-450A-97A4-20C446D17585.jpeg C0500CF8-8060-4F8D-997F-12725DBD53A1.jpeg 92463165-AAD6-4F29-90DD-71935552A5EC.jpeg B25076C7-C46D-49D4-ADF1-EFE3CEC30F85.jpeg C8B67C0C-526B-450A-97A4-20C446D17585.jpeg C0500CF8-8060-4F8D-997F-12725DBD53A1.jpeg
You won't regret it. I was using a double lever corker for years. It was considered quite the skill to be able to land a cork at the right depth. The floor corker I have now makes me wonder why I ever waited to get one.

For the longest time my friends and I thought it looked like a device from medieval times used to extract confessions from heretics. So we just referred to it as the "torture device." Run enough corks through one, and it feels like it.
I have to laugh. Tried my (used) double lever and what a challenge. First bottle when in so far it blew the bottom out of the bottle, adjusted the rod, second to deep, adjusted again, third to deep, adjusted again, fourth about 1/8” above flush, adjusted, fifth one still about 1/8” above flush. Then gave up! Used a canning jar on what was left.
Sorry for the double pictures, don’t know how I did that or how to delete the double up...

IMG_20190202_193928691_LL.jpg So it finally arrived today! Of course I was in the middle of a plumbing project to update my wine sink downstairs. Had a mess everywhere......but got it done and unboxed my gifts!! Can not wait to use it next week on my super sugar method wine! Along with the corner I also ordered a refractometer just because....it was only $20. However this reading is a bit muffled....what would you call it?IMG_20190202_194846369_LL.jpg this reading on a different batch is much more clearer to read.
IMG_20190202_194511667_LL.jpgsuggestions? Again thank you everyone!

Nice corker, be sure and let us know how you adjusted it and how it worked!

Could the funny looking reading be due to alcohol present? Remember refractometer read a skewed value in the presence of alcohol. That's why I don't own one, even at only $20. I view them as useful only at the start and yes, I know there are correction charts.

Well had that been true than the second reading would show the same thing as it was used on the super sugar method wine that is being bottled next week and has approximately 14% alcohol.

Well had that been true than the second reading would show the same thing as it was used on the super sugar method wine that is being bottled next week and has approximately 14% alcohol.

It is true tho in terms of readings need to be corrected if alcohol is present- unlike a hydrometer. But that shouldn’t effect the clarity. You can’t spin the centerpiece to bring it any more into focus?
Playing with new toys is always fun. Enjoy!

Nice corker, be sure and let us know how you adjusted it and how it worked!

Will do. It looks like there is a "nut" where the plunger hits the cork that is adjustable. Looks very easy, can't wait to try some #9's out finally. Been stuck using #8's since they are much easier to put in with the old hand corker. I'll let you all know!

Will do. It looks like there is a "nut" where the plunger hits the cork that is adjustable. Looks very easy, can't wait to try some #9's out finally. Been stuck using #8's since they are much easier to put in with the old hand corker. I'll let you all know!

A little free advice on the corker nut. Works great, you’ll have no problems controlling your cork set depth, but the nut may “wander” a bit during a corking session, causing the cork set depth to change. A little Teflon tape wrap around the threaded shaft will hold the nut in place during corking, and still allow you to adjust the set depth by hand as needed.

Both cool and very useful toys, enjoy them!!

Yep very easy to adjust, love mine. Also my refractometer, great for checking brix while strolling through the vineyard, never use it after fermentation is started though.

Latest posts

Back