Something old is new again.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Wife and I went to the Urbana flea market yesterday because we are avid antique collectors. I spent the whole time looking for fermenters!! I blame you guys on here for getting me addicted to this awesome hobby lol. :)Here is a pic of the 8 gallon crock I found for a primary!! It has a chip on the handle and no cracks or other damage of any kind! No spider webbing on anything so it was easy to clean and sterilize. I used bleach and rinsed it well. Last I poured 1/2 liter of sulfite solution in it and covered with the old towel you see. Any comments? Am I nuts to try it? I am sure it is clean enough. Oh and it weighs a ton!
Thanks, Steve

Primary.jpg

Well... come on now... You were NUTS before you went to the flea market..:d
I don't see why you cant use it for a primary. just make sure it is CLEAN and SANITIZED. Just don't make any scratches on it when cleaning. :b Cheers to your find.

Nice find. My Mom used those exact same kind of crocks for a fermenter when I was a kid. Oh also, I agree with Tom, your were probably nuts before you ever got there. :)

:)I was going to ask smurfe if he had any cold beer before he left but realized what a stupid question that would be.

Now that reminds me. I just counted only 5 full kegs here and 2 are still brewing. Hmm dont you just hate to see empty kegs.. It's like looking at empty wine bottles and empty carboys.

How much do you suppose that crock weighs...might be tough handling a full one.

I will throw it on the scales later and post it.
OK it weighs a smidge under 35 lbs. So with a 5 gallon must it will be close to 100 lbs. I think I will put it on a table in the basement and leave it there!:r

Last edited:
Here it is with the lid I made for it. Now to sterilize the lid hummmm.:r
CrockPrimary.jpg

You could just do what the old timers did and just put cheese cloth over the top of it. If you truly want to sanitize the lid and don't care about the authentic look you could make a lid from a piece of plexi glass. You would have no problem spraying it down with a sanitizing solution.

Latest posts

Back