something has a burned match smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
this morning in the utility room. the two things fermenting are skeeter pee and peach beer experiment. s.g. on sp is 1.030 and peach beer/wine is 1.020
the "experiment" was going heavy in the airlock until last night, i have a feeling it's that. i tasted what i got from the spigot for s.g. and yes, it does have an off taste, but still decent. i think sweetening later will make it drinkable, lol. think i've built up some kinda gas in this fermenter? am i gonna need a gas mask when i take the lid off tonight?

this morning in the utility room. the two things fermenting are skeeter pee and peach beer experiment. s.g. on sp is 1.030 and peach beer/wine is 1.020
the "experiment" was going heavy in the airlock until last night, i have a feeling it's that. i tasted what i got from the spigot for s.g. and yes, it does have an off taste, but still decent. i think sweetening later will make it drinkable, lol. think i've built up some kinda gas in this fermenter? am i gonna need a gas mask when i take the lid off tonight?

Peach ... I won't claim a connection, but the only burnt match spell I've ever produced was in peach.

Splash racked, racked, begged, pleaded .... and finally bottled. I'll let you know in a year or so how it turned out ;-)

Just googled this online:

Reduction - Wine that has had very little exposure to oxygen can sometimes become reduced, a chemical process. If extreme this can lead to aromas that are often described as "funky". They can included a roasted, sulfur aroma like a just-struck match, hard-boiled eggs, burnt rubber or rotting vegetation. Mild levels of this wine aroma will often "blow off" as the wine sits in the glass and is exposed to oxygen over 10 to 20 minutes. Decanting the bottle of wine can also help speed this process up. If it is severe, it may be more difficult to reverse.

Too much sulfur dioxide. Can sometimes be cured by airing.

First, determine exactly which of the two is giving off the bad smell. Don't try to go by taste.

I can't speak about the beer experiment, as I have never made beer. If the problem is in the beer, I can't help. There are others here who can help.

The following assumes the problem is in the wine, so disregard if the wine is OK:
For wine, the sulfur smell is an indication that either you have not added enough yeast nutrients to your must (nutrients is what I suspect) or not enough oxygen has gotten into the must during the early stage of fermentation (the time before you rack from the primary fermentor to the secondary fermentor).

Sometimes you get a little of this smell, anyway; it blows off most of the time.

Question: is the fermentation still going? If a smell like this is present, one of the two problems above is possible and the fermentation might stop early.

If fermentation is still going, stir the must really well to let in some oxygen. Add a little yeast nutrient, if you think that you have not added enough.

After fermentation is completely done, splash racking the wine will typically get rid of this smell. Put some in a cup and stir it really well for about 30 seconds. If the smell is gone, splash racking and a short bulk aging will likely get rid of the smell.

If the smell in the cup persists, throw a couple of shiny pennies into the cup and stir another 30 seconds. If this takes care of the smell, you might have a more serious problem. In this case, post a new entry and let us know; we'll give you further instructions.

The only thing i have made that smelled bad was peach, as well.
hmmmmmmmmm....

I have also had that smell in a Reisling, I agree with Robie, copper will remove it. I sterlized a a piece of copper pipe and let it soak in the must over night. The pennies sounds like a simple and neat solution.....

I have also had that smell in a Reisling, I agree with Robie, copper will remove it. I sterlized a a piece of copper pipe and let it soak in the must over night. The pennies sounds like a simple and neat solution.....

Of course the pennies will only let you know if you have a problem that copper can correct. I had an ultra-premium (expensive!) pinot noir kits that developed a really, really (did I emphasize it enough!) bad smell; worst I have ever encontered. The pennies in the cup removed the odor. What I did next was buy a fresh/clean piece of 3-feet long copper tubing (can't be tarnished). I hooked it onto the end of my racking tubing and splash-racked the wine through it. Next, I stirred the newly racked wine with that copper tubing for 3 or 4 minutes. The smell immediately was gone and the wine is fine.

One has to be mindful that if it gets too bad, there could be a serious mercaptan problem. I read where Tim V. of wineXpert said if you have mercaptan issues, toss the wine.

If the copper does not correct the problem (the smell could return in a few days), you should contact the LHBS where you purchased the kit. They might help you with a mercaptan issue.

Good luck!

And another stinky peach here. I used the copper tubing three times over a period of time. Never did really clear it. It has been in bottles for8 or 9 months now. I'm afraid to open any of it. But it sure looks good on the shelves.

And another stinky peach here. I used the copper tubing three times over a period of time. Never did really clear it. It has been in bottles for8 or 9 months now. I'm afraid to open any of it. But it sure looks good on the shelves.

I have never done a peach wine, so I can't offer much. I don't even know if mercaptans is something that affects non-grape fermentations. I know there are 2 stages to mercaptans - the last stage I believe needs something else done before the copper treatment will work for stage 1.

If after opening it still stinks in the bottle, I'd do some research before I would drink it. It may not have anything at all to do with mercaptans.

the smell seems to have coincided with fermentation being somewhat completed, or just very slowed. i took the lid off and stirred and it stinks inside, but just a stinky peach smell, not the burned match of this morning.
(stinkin' peaches seems to be a theme, lol)
fermentation is a tricky ole moma, lol

I just did a peach wine - and fermentation is complete and it smells great - tastes like a very dry peach - need to sweeten now...

So can't offer much help on the problem - the things i have posted or things that i have read up on.

I've got a peach in secondary that has a vinegar-y smeel, I'm afraid its a lot cause but not sure what to do with it.... Peach is apparently pretty tempermental.

Well, I spash racked it yesterday, added k-meta and sorbate, It's done fermenting, but I wanna let it age a bit before I try it. It smells horrible, and I ain't that brave! ; )

aah, come on closet, if i can taste my stinky peach beer, u can do it, lol!
(and actually, u might be surprised)

yeah, well I tasted the apple that was started a week earlier and no thanks, I'll wait... that freash fermentation taste ain't for me. ; )

I'll wait... that freash fermentation taste ain't for me. ; )

I got home tonight and opened the door to be hit with that yeast is humpin' along smell. I have 11 six gallon pails downstairs and 1 up. First thing I did was open the basement door and turned on the fan.

My step daughter really hates that smell. I tell her it's only for a week. (several times a year)

Latest posts

Back